RE: [nslu2-general] New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
      How about power consumption for these alternatives? For me the main reason
      for purchasing the slug was it's low power consumption!

      Regards
      Pauk

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
        I would assume that since it is newer up to date hardware that they would
        have Wake-On-Lan which would use a lot less power since they would turn off
        most of the power after a time with no activity and turn back on with
        activity on Lan.

        I agree with most of the comments on this, I bought Slug because it was
        cheap and low power. The new stuff with have to have this also.

        Thank You

        Urban

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
          The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
          on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
          AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
          computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
          under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
          irrelevant for my purposes.
        • Joel Gebhart
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
            I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
            supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
            Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
            take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
            read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
            CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
            attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
            seconds for my media server to start responding.
          • docbillnet
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

              > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
              > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

              I'm not sure about that...

              > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
              > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
              > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
              > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
              > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
              > seconds for my media server to start responding.

              Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
              It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
              my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
              page in Firefox.

              The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
              configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
              of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
              swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
              enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
              use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
              spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
              would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

              Bill

            • Rod Whitby
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                Joel Gebhart wrote:
                > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
                > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
                > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
                >
                > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
                >
                > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
                > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
                > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

                We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
                is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
                agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

                Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                -- Rod
              • Viktor S. Kristensen
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                  whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

                  To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                  From: rod@...
                  Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                    > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                    > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                    That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
                  • Gregg C Levine
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                      Hello!
                      To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                      for me!".

                      I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                      little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                      plan on running on it.)

                      --
                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                      On
                      > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                      > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                      > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                      >
                      > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                      > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                      >
                      > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                      support Marvell and yall's
                      > work.
                    • David Given

                        Gregg C Levine wrote:
                        > Hello!
                        > To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                        > for me!".
                        >
                        > I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                        > little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                        > plan on running on it.)

                        Well, I've just ordered one, and I know *exactly* what I want to run on
                        it...

                        It does look as if a port would be pretty much trivial; it's already got
                        a Linux kernel and runs Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), so any of the
                        Unslung/SlugOS LE userlands should Just Work.

                        Incidentally, have you spotted the serial console hooked up (via a
                        built-in USB-Serial converter) to the USB device socket on the side?
                        Very neat! You may also be interested to know that this device (the
                        exact shape and size as a USB phone charger, and would actually work as
                        one) has about the same spec as a high-end PC from 2002.

                        - --
                        David Given
                        dg@...

                      • Gregg C Levine
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                          Hello!
                          And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                          it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                          I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                          discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                          USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                          Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                          --
                          Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                        • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009
                            Hi,

                            Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                            noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                            RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                            2009).

                            Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                            -- Paul

                          • janne5011
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                              This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                              its about a project:
                              porting debian=)

                              http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer