Re: New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • lgftsa
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
      Yes, it was the stock lenny netinst ISO. I used the text installer,
      and it ran through with no problems.

      Like normal, I de-selected the two default package groups in the
      tasksel step. This stops a lot of extra packages and results in a
      _very_ basic but usable base system. I then installed openssh-server,
      less, joe, rsync and my wireless firmware packages. Everything after
      that depends on what the unit is for. Generally I also install links2,
      strace, tcpdump, iptraf and dnsutils for debugging.

      The 3300 is still a 486 core, just clocked at 1GHz and with upgraded
      peripherals. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on all the
      drivers. I'll post an update when I do.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

      > Glen,
      > Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
      > looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
      > never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
      > years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
      > interesting.
      > Thanks.

    • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
        How about power consumption for these alternatives? For me the main reason
        for purchasing the slug was it's low power consumption!

        Regards
        Pauk

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
          I would assume that since it is newer up to date hardware that they would
          have Wake-On-Lan which would use a lot less power since they would turn off
          most of the power after a time with no activity and turn back on with
          activity on Lan.

          I agree with most of the comments on this, I bought Slug because it was
          cheap and low power. The new stuff with have to have this also.

          Thank You

          Urban

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
            The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
            on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
            AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
            computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
            under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
            irrelevant for my purposes.
          • Joel Gebhart
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
              I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
              supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
              Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
              take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
              read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
              CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
              attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
              seconds for my media server to start responding.
            • docbillnet
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

                > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

                I'm not sure about that...

                > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                > seconds for my media server to start responding.

                Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
                It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
                my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
                page in Firefox.

                The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
                configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
                of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
                swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
                enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
                use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
                spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
                would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

                Bill

              • Rod Whitby
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                  Joel Gebhart wrote:
                  > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
                  > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
                  > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
                  >
                  > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
                  >
                  > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
                  > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
                  > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

                  We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
                  is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
                  agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

                  Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                  -- Rod
                • Viktor S. Kristensen
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                    whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

                    To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                    From: rod@...
                    Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                      > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                      > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                      That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
                    • Gregg C Levine
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                        Hello!
                        To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                        for me!".

                        I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                        little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                        plan on running on it.)

                        --
                        Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                        On
                        > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                        > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                        > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                        >
                        > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                        > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                        >
                        > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                        support Marvell and yall's
                        > work.
                      • David Given

                          Gregg C Levine wrote:
                          > Hello!
                          > To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                          > for me!".
                          >
                          > I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                          > little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                          > plan on running on it.)

                          Well, I've just ordered one, and I know *exactly* what I want to run on
                          it...

                          It does look as if a port would be pretty much trivial; it's already got
                          a Linux kernel and runs Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), so any of the
                          Unslung/SlugOS LE userlands should Just Work.

                          Incidentally, have you spotted the serial console hooked up (via a
                          built-in USB-Serial converter) to the USB device socket on the side?
                          Very neat! You may also be interested to know that this device (the
                          exact shape and size as a USB phone charger, and would actually work as
                          one) has about the same spec as a high-end PC from 2002.

                          - --
                          David Given
                          dg@...

                        • Gregg C Levine
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                            Hello!
                            And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                            it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                            I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                            discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                            USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                            Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                            --
                            Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                          • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009
                              Hi,

                              Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                              noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                              RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                              2009).

                              Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                              -- Paul

                            • janne5011
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                                This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                                its about a project:
                                porting debian=)

                                http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer