Re: New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
      Glen,
      Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
      looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
      never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
      years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
      interesting.
      Thanks.
    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
        These are options I considered before buying my NSLU2's. Both of
        these are just as antiquated as the NSLU2, so I would not consider
        them an "upgrade" or even a replacement.

        If I had to replace my NSLU2's now, I would probably pioneer with the
        Marvell. But I don't. I have two NSLU2's, one for a spare, so I
        won't need a replacement for quite sometime.

        Bill

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lgftsa" <lgftsa@...> wrote:

        > Apologies if this comes through twice, my first reply seems to have
        > disappeared into the bit bucket.
        >
        > I bought a eBox-2300 recently - the 200MHz model with 128Mb RAM - and
        > it's a great little unit. Lenny is installed on a 4Gb CF card, and I
        > have a 802.11abg card in the miniPCI socket. All drivers were included
        > in the standard kernel, no compiling necessary.
        >
        > The only caveat is that the 2.5" disk and miniPCI share the same
        > space, so it's one or the other. The only exception is to use one of
        > the solid state 2.5" disks which is only 1" long and has a right angle
        > connector. It just fits without reaching the miniPCI card.
        >
        > Like this <http://www.inovis.ch/d/artikel_ausgabe.asp?ID=3650> but
        > without the stacking pins.
        >
        > Oh, and if you're planning on using it as a fileserver, the three USB
        > ports are only 1.1, so it'll be a bit slow for external disks.
        >
        > I bought mine without the wireless option as I have a small collection
        > of cards in my bits box. I did have to buy a 10cm SMA pigtail from
        > eBay, though.
        >
        > Unfortunately, the mpd in lenny does not use MAD, so I'll have to
        > compile it myself. It does play MP3s as is, but uses most of the CPU.
        > The other thing I plugged in is my A800 DVB-T tuner, but it's not
        > really practical with the USB speed limit.
        >
        > I have the eBox-3300 on order for a different application, and it's a
        > much more beefy product. 1GHz with 256M RAM and a micro-SD slot as
        > well as the CF. This one would be suitable for a fileserver, as the
        > USB ports are 2.0. The only other major difference is that the onboard
        > audio is an internal USB device rather than on the internal PCI bus.
        > It's still hardwired, but using a USB port.
        >
        > Any questions, please feel free to ask.
        >
        > Cheers, glen.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jka <jka.yahoo@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Every time my slug does "a funny" I go off looking for alternatives,
        > but as
        > > you say it doesn't take long for the "comeback kid" to keep me
        > restrained.
        > >
        > > My recent searches (last night) were...
        > >
        > > � � http://www.norhtec.com/
        > > � � http://www.compactpc.com.tw/index.htm

      • lgftsa
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
          Yes, it was the stock lenny netinst ISO. I used the text installer,
          and it ran through with no problems.

          Like normal, I de-selected the two default package groups in the
          tasksel step. This stops a lot of extra packages and results in a
          _very_ basic but usable base system. I then installed openssh-server,
          less, joe, rsync and my wireless firmware packages. Everything after
          that depends on what the unit is for. Generally I also install links2,
          strace, tcpdump, iptraf and dnsutils for debugging.

          The 3300 is still a 486 core, just clocked at 1GHz and with upgraded
          peripherals. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on all the
          drivers. I'll post an update when I do.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

          > Glen,
          > Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
          > looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
          > never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
          > years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
          > interesting.
          > Thanks.

        • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
            How about power consumption for these alternatives? For me the main reason
            for purchasing the slug was it's low power consumption!

            Regards
            Pauk

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
              I would assume that since it is newer up to date hardware that they would
              have Wake-On-Lan which would use a lot less power since they would turn off
              most of the power after a time with no activity and turn back on with
              activity on Lan.

              I agree with most of the comments on this, I bought Slug because it was
              cheap and low power. The new stuff with have to have this also.

              Thank You

              Urban

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
                on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
                AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
                computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
                under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
                irrelevant for my purposes.
              • Joel Gebhart
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                  I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                  supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
                  Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                  take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                  read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                  CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                  attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                  seconds for my media server to start responding.
                • docbillnet
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

                    > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                    > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

                    I'm not sure about that...

                    > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                    > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                    > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                    > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                    > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                    > seconds for my media server to start responding.

                    Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
                    It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
                    my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
                    page in Firefox.

                    The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
                    configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
                    of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
                    swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
                    enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
                    use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
                    spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
                    would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

                    Bill

                  • Rod Whitby
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                      Joel Gebhart wrote:
                      > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
                      > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
                      > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
                      >
                      > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
                      >
                      > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
                      > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
                      > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

                      We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
                      is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
                      agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

                      Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                      -- Rod
                    • Viktor S. Kristensen
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                        whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

                        To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                        From: rod@...
                        Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                          > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                          > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                          That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
                        • Gregg C Levine
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                            Hello!
                            To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                            for me!".

                            I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                            little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                            plan on running on it.)

                            --
                            Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                            On
                            > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                            > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                            > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                            >
                            > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                            > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                            >
                            > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                            support Marvell and yall's
                            > work.
                          • David Given

                              Gregg C Levine wrote:
                              > Hello!
                              > To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                              > for me!".
                              >
                              > I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                              > little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                              > plan on running on it.)

                              Well, I've just ordered one, and I know *exactly* what I want to run on
                              it...

                              It does look as if a port would be pretty much trivial; it's already got
                              a Linux kernel and runs Ubuntu (Jaunty Jackalope), so any of the
                              Unslung/SlugOS LE userlands should Just Work.

                              Incidentally, have you spotted the serial console hooked up (via a
                              built-in USB-Serial converter) to the USB device socket on the side?
                              Very neat! You may also be interested to know that this device (the
                              exact shape and size as a USB phone charger, and would actually work as
                              one) has about the same spec as a high-end PC from 2002.

                              - --
                              David Given
                              dg@...

                            • Gregg C Levine
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                                Hello!
                                And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                                it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                                I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                                discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                                USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                                Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                                --
                                Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                              • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009
                                  Hi,

                                  Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                                  noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                                  RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                                  2009).

                                  Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                                  -- Paul

                                • janne5011
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                                    This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                                    its about a project:
                                    porting debian=)

                                    http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer