Re: New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • lgftsa
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 28, 2009
      Apologies if this comes through twice, my first reply seems to have
      disappeared into the bit bucket.

      I bought a eBox-2300 recently - the 200MHz model with 128Mb RAM - and
      it's a great little unit. Lenny is installed on a 4Gb CF card, and I
      have a 802.11abg card in the miniPCI socket. All drivers were included
      in the standard kernel, no compiling necessary.

      The only caveat is that the 2.5" disk and miniPCI share the same
      space, so it's one or the other. The only exception is to use one of
      the solid state 2.5" disks which is only 1" long and has a right angle
      connector. It just fits without reaching the miniPCI card.

      Like this <http://www.inovis.ch/d/artikel_ausgabe.asp?ID=3650> but
      without the stacking pins.

      Oh, and if you're planning on using it as a fileserver, the three USB
      ports are only 1.1, so it'll be a bit slow for external disks.

      I bought mine without the wireless option as I have a small collection
      of cards in my bits box. I did have to buy a 10cm SMA pigtail from
      eBay, though.

      Unfortunately, the mpd in lenny does not use MAD, so I'll have to
      compile it myself. It does play MP3s as is, but uses most of the CPU.
      The other thing I plugged in is my A800 DVB-T tuner, but it's not
      really practical with the USB speed limit.

      I have the eBox-3300 on order for a different application, and it's a
      much more beefy product. 1GHz with 256M RAM and a micro-SD slot as
      well as the CF. This one would be suitable for a fileserver, as the
      USB ports are 2.0. The only other major difference is that the onboard
      audio is an internal USB device rather than on the internal PCI bus.
      It's still hardwired, but using a USB port.

      Any questions, please feel free to ask.

      Cheers, glen.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jka <jka.yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Every time my slug does "a funny" I go off looking for alternatives,
      but as
      > you say it doesn't take long for the "comeback kid" to keep me
      restrained.

      > My recent searches (last night) were...
      >
      > Â Â http://www.norhtec.com/
      > Â Â http://www.compactpc.com.tw/index.htm

    • Joel Gebhart
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
        Glen,
        Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
        looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
        never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
        years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
        interesting.
        Thanks.
      • docbillnet
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
          These are options I considered before buying my NSLU2's. Both of
          these are just as antiquated as the NSLU2, so I would not consider
          them an "upgrade" or even a replacement.

          If I had to replace my NSLU2's now, I would probably pioneer with the
          Marvell. But I don't. I have two NSLU2's, one for a spare, so I
          won't need a replacement for quite sometime.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2009
            Yes, it was the stock lenny netinst ISO. I used the text installer,
            and it ran through with no problems.

            Like normal, I de-selected the two default package groups in the
            tasksel step. This stops a lot of extra packages and results in a
            _very_ basic but usable base system. I then installed openssh-server,
            less, joe, rsync and my wireless firmware packages. Everything after
            that depends on what the unit is for. Generally I also install links2,
            strace, tcpdump, iptraf and dnsutils for debugging.

            The 3300 is still a 486 core, just clocked at 1GHz and with upgraded
            peripherals. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on all the
            drivers. I'll post an update when I do.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

            > Glen,
            > Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
            > looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
            > never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
            > years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
            > interesting.
            > Thanks.

          • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
              How about power consumption for these alternatives? For me the main reason
              for purchasing the slug was it's low power consumption!

              Regards
              Pauk

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2, 2009
                I would assume that since it is newer up to date hardware that they would
                have Wake-On-Lan which would use a lot less power since they would turn off
                most of the power after a time with no activity and turn back on with
                activity on Lan.

                I agree with most of the comments on this, I bought Slug because it was
                cheap and low power. The new stuff with have to have this also.

                Thank You

                Urban

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                  The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
                  on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
                  AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
                  computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
                  under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
                  irrelevant for my purposes.
                • Joel Gebhart
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                    I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                    supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
                    Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                    take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                    read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                    CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                    attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                    seconds for my media server to start responding.
                  • docbillnet
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

                      > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                      > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

                      I'm not sure about that...

                      > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                      > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                      > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                      > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                      > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                      > seconds for my media server to start responding.

                      Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
                      It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
                      my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
                      page in Firefox.

                      The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
                      configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
                      of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
                      swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
                      enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
                      use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
                      spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
                      would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

                      Bill

                    • Rod Whitby
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                        Joel Gebhart wrote:
                        > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
                        > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
                        > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
                        >
                        > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
                        >
                        > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
                        > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
                        > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

                        We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
                        is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
                        agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

                        Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                        -- Rod
                      • Viktor S. Kristensen
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                          whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

                          To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                          From: rod@...
                          Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                            > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                            > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                            That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
                          • Gregg C Levine
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 6, 2009
                              Hello!
                              To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                              for me!".

                              I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                              little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                              plan on running on it.)

                              --
                              Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                              On
                              > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                              > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                              > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                              >
                              > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                              > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                              >
                              > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                              support Marvell and yall's
                              > work.
                            • David Given
                              • Gregg C Levine
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 7, 2009
                                  Hello!
                                  And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                                  it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                                  I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                                  discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                                  USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                                  Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                                  --
                                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                                • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 25, 2009

                                    Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                                    noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                                    RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                                    2009).

                                    Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                                    -- Paul

                                  • janne5011
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 1 4:02 AM
                                      This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                                      its about a project:
                                      porting debian=)

                                      http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer