Re: Update Mode not working

  • gooner_ramit
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2009
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@...> wrote:

      > In article <gnftpk+l357@...>,
      > gooner_ramit <ukha@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I'm trying to reflash my slug. (have been running openslug for a
      long
      > > time, then one day it disappeared off of the network). I decided
      that I
      > > might as well try out the Debian firmware...
      >
      > Something changed to cause your network connection to be lost.
      >
      > > But I can't get it into update mode. With only the power and
      ethernet
      > > cables attached, I power up the slug with the reset button pushed
      and
      > > wait. Although the top 'ready' led does come on green, it very
      quickly
      > > goes out and the second 'ethernet' status led lights up green.
      There is
      > > no change in led status within 20 or so seconds of booting up the
      slug.
      > > BUT - if I carry out these steps with the network cable unplugged
      it
      > > goes through the update mode faultlessly; the top led lights
      orange for
      > > 10 or so seconds, then it switches to red and releasing the reset
      > > button makes the top led flash red and green - UNTIL I plug in my
      > > ethernet cable (well, its not much use without it ;) at which
      time the
      > > top led goes out and the second 'network' led lights constantly
      green.
      > > My sercomm utility can't find the slug at this stage, so I am
      assuming
      > > that it is not in upgrade mode...
      > >
      > > Also, using the 'arping' command from linux to try to get into
      the
      > > Redboot does not work for me either. In fact, if I ping
      192.168.0.1
      > > during the slug boot I never get any response (nor a continuous
      ping -b)

      > This is just a guess, but I wonder of your slug's power supply is
      dying?
      > Do you have another 5V source you can try instead?
      >
      > --
      > Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
      > Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/
      > Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter -
      http://counter.li.org/

      Bob

      Well diagnosed, it is a power problem - many thanks.

      I managed to find a double-ended USB cable (originally for a hard
      disk caddy) and employed Alternative 5 from the ForcePowerAlwaysOn
      wiki page to supply power via usb rather than the psu. And then my
      slug started behaving again - it booted off the old disk and I had
      ssh access too.

      I'm well chuffed, thanks again. At one stage (after 2 days of no
      activity at all on this group) I thought I'd killed the group ;-)

      Ady

      Cheltenham, near(ish) Bristol, UK