New hardware to replace NSLU2

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 24, 2009
      Hi All,

      I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
      hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
      somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?

      http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html

      It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
      wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
      other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.
    • jvikezz
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 25, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
        > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
        > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
        >
        > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
        >
        > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
        > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
        > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

        Sounds very promising!!

        Else the qnaps are getting quite advanced! :) I decided to go with the
        intel atom board.. but sure... the new marvell is great!!
      • docbillnet
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 25, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
          > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
          > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
          >
          > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
          >
          > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
          > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
          > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

          Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like you need a hardware
          kit to flash these devices. The cost of the developer version is
          $100. I don't know if the developer version includes the hardware to
          flash, or if that is extra. Still $100+ places it out of the price
          range I would want to spend to upgrade from an NSLU2.

          I'm curious if the Marvell actually runs fast enough to take advantage
          of gigabit networking. If I assume speed scales with CPU clock rate,
          then it will only send data 4.5 times faster than an NSLU2.

          Bill
        • roland.gallinera@mcicoach.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 25, 2009
            I think the developer version is $99 and the final retail target price to
            mainstream users would be $50 or so... It's a bit reasonable price
            considering the NSLU2 was originally $150 and is probably $80 nowadays
            (but you can probably find it for $30 somewhere)...

            With 512MB of RAM and 512MB of ROM, it will probably be comparable to a
            Pentium 3 system or better... I'm currently using a P3 laptop with 384MB
            RAM as a server system and it works ok...

            nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com wrote on 02/25/2009 01:13:51 PM:

            > Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like you need a hardware
            > kit to flash these devices. The cost of the developer version is
            > $100. I don't know if the developer version includes the hardware to
            > flash, or if that is extra. Still $100+ places it out of the price
            > range I would want to spend to upgrade from an NSLU2.
            >
            > I'm curious if the Marvell actually runs fast enough to take advantage
            > of gigabit networking. If I assume speed scales with CPU clock rate,
            > then it will only send data 4.5 times faster than an NSLU2.
            >
            > Bill

          • docbillnet
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 25, 2009
              Keep in mind, when the NSLU2 came out, it wasn't possible to buy brand
              new laptops for $200. So relative to todays prices, $99 is high for
              the replacement. However, I see in their specs that they actually
              use and open source firmware loader. So perhaps with a miniUSB
              cable, and some open source software it would be possible to install
              Linux on a retail version. I already see one company listed a retail
              version at $79...

              Unfortunately, most of these companies don't respect the GPL. So they
              may succeed in locking users out from being able to replace the
              installed software. I guess the brave souls who most desperately
              need something new will have to try it.

              Bill

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, roland.gallinera@... wrote:

              > I think the developer version is $99 and the final retail target
              price to
              > mainstream users would be $50 or so... It's a bit reasonable price
              > considering the NSLU2 was originally $150 and is probably $80 nowadays
              > (but you can probably find it for $30 somewhere)...
              >
              > With 512MB of RAM and 512MB of ROM, it will probably be comparable to a
              > Pentium 3 system or better... I'm currently using a P3 laptop with
              384MB
              > RAM as a server system and it works ok...
              >
              > nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com wrote on 02/25/2009 01:13:51 PM:
              >

              > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like you need a hardware
              > > kit to flash these devices. The cost of the developer version is
              > > $100. I don't know if the developer version includes the hardware to
              > > flash, or if that is extra. Still $100+ places it out of the price
              > > range I would want to spend to upgrade from an NSLU2.
              > >
              > > I'm curious if the Marvell actually runs fast enough to take advantage
              > > of gigabit networking. If I assume speed scales with CPU clock rate,
              > > then it will only send data 4.5 times faster than an NSLU2.
              > >
              > > Bill

            • docbillnet
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 25, 2009
                I guess there is a sucker born every minute. I would have paid too
                much for a laptop. Looks like the going rate is $160 for a base model
                Linux netbook.

                http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210486063&listingid=35208026&dcaid=17902

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > Keep in mind, when the NSLU2 came out, it wasn't possible to buy brand
                > new laptops for $200. So relative to todays prices, $99 is high for
                > the replacement. However, I see in their specs that they actually
                > use and open source firmware loader. So perhaps with a miniUSB
                > cable, and some open source software it would be possible to install
                > Linux on a retail version. I already see one company listed a retail
                > version at $79...
                >
                > Unfortunately, most of these companies don't respect the GPL. So they
                > may succeed in locking users out from being able to replace the
                > installed software. I guess the brave souls who most desperately
                > need something new will have to try it.
                >
                > Bill
                >

                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, roland.gallinera@ wrote:
                > >
                > > I think the developer version is $99 and the final retail target
                > price to
                > > mainstream users would be $50 or so... It's a bit reasonable price
                > > considering the NSLU2 was originally $150 and is probably $80
                nowadays
                > > (but you can probably find it for $30 somewhere)...
                > >
                > > With 512MB of RAM and 512MB of ROM, it will probably be comparable
                to a
                > > Pentium 3 system or better... I'm currently using a P3 laptop with
                > 384MB
                > > RAM as a server system and it works ok...
                > >
                > > nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com wrote on 02/25/2009 01:13:51 PM:
                > >

                > > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like you need a hardware
                > > > kit to flash these devices. The cost of the developer version is
                > > > $100. I don't know if the developer version includes the hardware to
                > > > flash, or if that is extra. Still $100+ places it out of the price
                > > > range I would want to spend to upgrade from an NSLU2.
                > > >
                > > > I'm curious if the Marvell actually runs fast enough to take
                advantage
                > > > of gigabit networking. If I assume speed scales with CPU clock rate,
                > > > then it will only send data 4.5 times faster than an NSLU2.
                > > >
                > > > Bill

              • vikezz
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 27, 2009
                  Guys,, just admit it.. no device or gadget are ever going to beat the
                  legendary NSLU2 .. never!!

                  The slug is the very essence of what a great community can manage to
                  accomplish.. the future may bring faster and slimmer devices,, but not as
                  cool as the NSLU2 which started it all :)

                  NSLU2 forever <3

                  docbillnet wrote:

                  > I guess there is a sucker born every minute. I would have paid too
                  > much for a laptop. Looks like the going rate is $160 for a base model
                  > Linux netbook.
                  >
                  > http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210486063&listingid=35208026&dcaid=17902
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Keep in mind, when the NSLU2 came out, it wasn't possible to buy brand
                  >> new laptops for $200. So relative to todays prices, $99 is high for
                  >> the replacement. However, I see in their specs that they actually
                  >> use and open source firmware loader. So perhaps with a miniUSB
                  >> cable, and some open source software it would be possible to install
                  >> Linux on a retail version. I already see one company listed a retail
                  >> version at $79...
                  >>
                  >> Unfortunately, most of these companies don't respect the GPL. So they
                  >> may succeed in locking users out from being able to replace the
                  >> installed software. I guess the brave souls who most desperately
                  >> need something new will have to try it.
                  >>
                  >> Bill
                  >>

                  >> --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, roland.gallinera@ wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > I think the developer version is $99 and the final retail target
                  >> price to
                  >> > mainstream users would be $50 or so... It's a bit reasonable price
                  >> > considering the NSLU2 was originally $150 and is probably $80
                  > nowadays
                  >> > (but you can probably find it for $30 somewhere)...
                  >> >
                  >> > With 512MB of RAM and 512MB of ROM, it will probably be comparable
                  > to a
                  >> > Pentium 3 system or better... I'm currently using a P3 laptop with
                  >> 384MB
                  >> > RAM as a server system and it works ok...

                  > advantage

                • janne5011
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 27, 2009
                    Agree. theres the slug and.. the rest.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, vikezz <vikezz@...> wrote:

                    > Guys,, just admit it.. no device or gadget are ever going to beat the
                    > legendary NSLU2 .. never!!
                    >
                    > The slug is the very essence of what a great community can manage to
                    > accomplish.. the future may bring faster and slimmer devices,, but
                    not as
                    > cool as the NSLU2 which started it all :)
                    >
                    > NSLU2 forever <3
                    >

                    > docbillnet wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I guess there is a sucker born every minute. I would have paid too
                    > > much for a laptop. Looks like the going rate is $160 for a base model
                    > > Linux netbook.

                    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210486063&listingid=35208026&dcaid=17902

                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "docbillnet" <yahoo@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> Keep in mind, when the NSLU2 came out, it wasn't possible to buy
                    brand
                    > >> new laptops for $200. So relative to todays prices, $99 is high for
                    > >> the replacement. However, I see in their specs that they actually
                    > >> use and open source firmware loader. So perhaps with a miniUSB
                    > >> cable, and some open source software it would be possible to install
                    > >> Linux on a retail version. I already see one company listed a retail
                    > >> version at $79...
                    > >>
                    > >> Unfortunately, most of these companies don't respect the GPL. So
                    they
                    > >> may succeed in locking users out from being able to replace the
                    > >> installed software. I guess the brave souls who most desperately
                    > >> need something new will have to try it.
                    > >>
                    > >> Bill

                    > >> price to
                    > > nowadays

                    > > to a
                    > >> 384MB

                    > > advantage

                    > --

                  • jka
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 28, 2009
                      Every time my slug does "a funny" I go off looking for alternatives, but as
                      you say it doesn't take long for the "comeback kid" to keep me restrained.

                      My recent searches (last night) were...

                         http://www.norhtec.com/
                         http://www.compactpc.com.tw/index.htm

                      Last night one of my two slugs decided to corrupt its flash pen drive system
                      partition. I only noticed it because mediatomb wasn't showing up on the PS3.
                      Luckily I've setup nightly rsync process to dump the pendrive /share/data to
                      the other slug's hard drive. After a quick reformat of the pendrive partition
                      and a relocation of the pendrive to my ubuntu machine, I resync'd it back and
                      within 30mins it's backup up and running. It's going to have be something
                      physically wrong before I feel the need to replace it ....  though I like the
                      look of the DMPs !

                    • Stanley P. Miller
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 28, 2009
                        These have tempted me from time to time:

                        ===============
                        http://ubnt.com/products/rs.php

                        680MHz MIPS 24K CPU, 64MB RAM, and 16MB Flash

                        Up to 3 mini-PCI radios, 3 10/100 ethernet interfaces, a 5A power
                        supply for multiple hi-power card support, USB 2.0

                        Around $60.00 U.S. without a case or power supply.

                        =================

                        http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7250

                        # 200 MHz ARM9 processor with MMU
                        # 32 MB of High Speed SDRAM
                        # 32 MB Flash (128 MB opt.) disk used for RedBoot boot-loader, Linux
                        kernel and root file system
                        # USB Flash drive supported
                        # 10/100 Ethernet interface - autosense, LED indicators
                        # 2 USB 2.0 Compatible OHCI ports (12 Mbit/s Max)
                        # 20 DIO lines - plus one output capable of switching 1 Amp at 30 V
                        # 5 channel 12-bit A/D converter
                        # PC/104 8/16 bit bus
                        # SPI bus header

                        Starting about $150.00 U.S. with options for more memory etc.
                      • lgftsa
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 28, 2009
                          Apologies if this comes through twice, my first reply seems to have
                          disappeared into the bit bucket.

                          I bought a eBox-2300 recently - the 200MHz model with 128Mb RAM - and
                          it's a great little unit. Lenny is installed on a 4Gb CF card, and I
                          have a 802.11abg card in the miniPCI socket. All drivers were included
                          in the standard kernel, no compiling necessary.

                          The only caveat is that the 2.5" disk and miniPCI share the same
                          space, so it's one or the other. The only exception is to use one of
                          the solid state 2.5" disks which is only 1" long and has a right angle
                          connector. It just fits without reaching the miniPCI card.

                          Like this <http://www.inovis.ch/d/artikel_ausgabe.asp?ID=3650> but
                          without the stacking pins.

                          Oh, and if you're planning on using it as a fileserver, the three USB
                          ports are only 1.1, so it'll be a bit slow for external disks.

                          I bought mine without the wireless option as I have a small collection
                          of cards in my bits box. I did have to buy a 10cm SMA pigtail from
                          eBay, though.

                          Unfortunately, the mpd in lenny does not use MAD, so I'll have to
                          compile it myself. It does play MP3s as is, but uses most of the CPU.
                          The other thing I plugged in is my A800 DVB-T tuner, but it's not
                          really practical with the USB speed limit.

                          I have the eBox-3300 on order for a different application, and it's a
                          much more beefy product. 1GHz with 256M RAM and a micro-SD slot as
                          well as the CF. This one would be suitable for a fileserver, as the
                          USB ports are 2.0. The only other major difference is that the onboard
                          audio is an internal USB device rather than on the internal PCI bus.
                          It's still hardwired, but using a USB port.

                          Any questions, please feel free to ask.

                          Cheers, glen.

                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jka <jka.yahoo@...> wrote:

                          > Every time my slug does "a funny" I go off looking for alternatives,
                          but as
                          > you say it doesn't take long for the "comeback kid" to keep me
                          restrained.

                          > My recent searches (last night) were...
                          >
                          > Â Â http://www.norhtec.com/
                          > Â Â http://www.compactpc.com.tw/index.htm

                        • Joel Gebhart
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 1 5:02 PM
                            Glen,
                            Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
                            looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
                            never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
                            years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
                            interesting.
                            Thanks.
                          • docbillnet
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 1 5:18 PM
                              These are options I considered before buying my NSLU2's. Both of
                              these are just as antiquated as the NSLU2, so I would not consider
                              them an "upgrade" or even a replacement.

                              If I had to replace my NSLU2's now, I would probably pioneer with the
                              Marvell. But I don't. I have two NSLU2's, one for a spare, so I
                              won't need a replacement for quite sometime.

                              Bill

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 1 11:55 PM
                                Yes, it was the stock lenny netinst ISO. I used the text installer,
                                and it ran through with no problems.

                                Like normal, I de-selected the two default package groups in the
                                tasksel step. This stops a lot of extra packages and results in a
                                _very_ basic but usable base system. I then installed openssh-server,
                                less, joe, rsync and my wireless firmware packages. Everything after
                                that depends on what the unit is for. Generally I also install links2,
                                strace, tcpdump, iptraf and dnsutils for debugging.

                                The 3300 is still a 486 core, just clocked at 1GHz and with upgraded
                                peripherals. I haven't received it yet, so I can't comment on all the
                                drivers. I'll post an update when I do.

                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

                                > Glen,
                                > Does the eBox-2300 use the i386 image of Lenny? If that is right, from
                                > looking at the processors, the eBox-3300 would use the same too. I've
                                > never successfully installed Debian, but the last time I tried was 6
                                > years ago. I have installed Ubuntu though. That hardware looks
                                > interesting.
                                > Thanks.

                              • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 2 8:36 AM
                                  How about power consumption for these alternatives? For me the main reason
                                  for purchasing the slug was it's low power consumption!

                                  Regards
                                  Pauk

                                  http://linuxdevices <http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html>
                                  .com/news/NS9634061300.html

                                  It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
                                  wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
                                  other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

                                • Urban Cubbage
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 2 3:27 PM
                                    I would assume that since it is newer up to date hardware that they would
                                    have Wake-On-Lan which would use a lot less power since they would turn off
                                    most of the power after a time with no activity and turn back on with
                                    activity on Lan.

                                    I agree with most of the comments on this, I bought Slug because it was
                                    cheap and low power. The new stuff with have to have this also.

                                    Thank You

                                    Urban

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 3 1:03 PM
                                      The Marvell SheevaPlug uses 5 watts (but I don't see whether this is
                                      on the AC or DC side). The Slug uses 2.5 watts on the DC side, at the
                                      AC side it is just under 4 watts. Most of the tiny form factor
                                      computers in this thread have their specs online, and seem to use
                                      under 20 watts. I consider anything less than 20 watts to be
                                      irrelevant for my purposes.
                                    • Joel Gebhart
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 3 1:08 PM
                                        I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                                        supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.
                                        Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                                        take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                                        read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                                        CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                                        attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                                        seconds for my media server to start responding.
                                      • docbillnet
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 3 1:20 PM
                                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

                                          > I forgot to add that while I think all the hardware in this thread
                                          > supports WOL, you have to configure it in software to use it.

                                          I'm not sure about that...

                                          > Personally I wouldn't use it because even the couple seconds it would
                                          > take to come out of hibernation isn't acceptable when I'm trying to
                                          > read or write to the disk attached to it. I don't know how tolerant
                                          > CUPS would be of waiting for a response if you use it for a network
                                          > attached printing services. Obviously I could live with a couple
                                          > seconds for my media server to start responding.

                                          Chances are you already have to wait a few seconds for other reasons.
                                          It is not uncommon, when I haven't done anything for a while, to hear
                                          my disks for my NSLU2 spin up, by something simple like opening a web
                                          page in Firefox.

                                          The reason that happens, is among other things, I have my NSLU2
                                          configure as a DNS server. Because the NSLU2 has such limited amount
                                          of ram, eventually after enough idle time, the DNS server process gets
                                          swapped out to disk. After a while of not using the disks, the USB
                                          enclosure spins those down. So a few hours later, when I decide to
                                          use firefox the process is delayed for two seconds while the NSLU2
                                          spins up the disks and then loads the process back into memory. WOL
                                          would not add a significant amount of additional delay to this...

                                          Bill

                                        • Rod Whitby
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 5 10:27 PM
                                            Joel Gebhart wrote:
                                            > I've wondered what I will do when my slug dies to replace it. A
                                            > hardware refresh would be nice anyway since the slug hardware is
                                            > somewhat sluggish. Has anyone else seen this?
                                            >
                                            > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html
                                            >
                                            > It seems like the perfect replacement/upgrade for the slug hardware. I
                                            > wish I had the expertise to trailblaze with it, but I have too many
                                            > other projects right now, and no expertise in compiling Linux.

                                            We've approached Marvell in the #openplug IRC channel on Freenode (which
                                            is full of all the usual suspects in ARM linux) and they have graciously
                                            agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.

                                            Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                                            -- Rod
                                          • Viktor S. Kristensen
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 5 11:55 PM
                                              whouw,, thats excellent news!! looking forward to hear more about the marvell nslu2-linux project!

                                              To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: rod@...
                                              Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:57:55 +1030

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 6 12:32 PM
                                                > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                                                > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.

                                                That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to support Marvell and yall's work.
                                              • Gregg C Levine
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 6 8:41 PM
                                                  Hello!
                                                  To quote a certain individual who reminds me of a certain individual "Works
                                                  for me!".

                                                  I've been planning on getting one of the developer's kits as soon as the
                                                  little devils were announced. (About the only problem was in figuring what I
                                                  plan on running on it.)

                                                  --
                                                  Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                                                  On
                                                  > Behalf Of Joel Gebhart
                                                  > Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 3:33 PM
                                                  > To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                                                  > Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Marvell donates a SheevaPlug
                                                  >
                                                  > > agreed to donate one of these units to the nslu2-linux project.
                                                  > > Brian Zhou is going to create an Optware feed for it.
                                                  >
                                                  > That is really exciting. When yall have it up, I plan to buy one to
                                                  support Marvell and yall's
                                                  > work.
                                                • David Given
                                                  • Gregg C Levine
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 7 6:30 PM
                                                      Hello!
                                                      And as it happens you forgot an ARM based port of Slackware (Unofficial as
                                                      it happens.) Which will be my selected one.

                                                      I meant what I plan on bringing to it. Over on the OWFS list there was
                                                      discussion regarding using the device for that purpose, however the single
                                                      USB port is considered to be the big problem for that process.

                                                      Well anyway, RSN is the key phrase here.
                                                      --
                                                      Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...

                                                    • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 25 10:07 AM

                                                        Just ran into this one, http://fit-pc2.com, a very small, very slim,
                                                        noiseless, ultra low power (8W), very performing (1.1 GHz, 1GB internal
                                                        RAM), system. Very new as well (they start to accept orders from April
                                                        2009).

                                                        Current price for the diskless, OS-less version: $245

                                                        -- Paul

                                                      • janne5011
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                                                          This was interesting for me, and maybe more slugowners

                                                          its about a project:
                                                          porting debian=)

                                                          http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer