Re: Update Mode not working

  • Bob Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2009
      In article <gnftpk+l357@...>,
      gooner_ramit <ukha@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to reflash my slug. (have been running openslug for a long
      > time, then one day it disappeared off of the network). I decided that I
      > might as well try out the Debian firmware...

      Something changed to cause your network connection to be lost.

      > But I can't get it into update mode. With only the power and ethernet
      > cables attached, I power up the slug with the reset button pushed and
      > wait. Although the top 'ready' led does come on green, it very quickly
      > goes out and the second 'ethernet' status led lights up green. There is
      > no change in led status within 20 or so seconds of booting up the slug.
      > BUT - if I carry out these steps with the network cable unplugged it
      > goes through the update mode faultlessly; the top led lights orange for
      > 10 or so seconds, then it switches to red and releasing the reset
      > button makes the top led flash red and green - UNTIL I plug in my
      > ethernet cable (well, its not much use without it ;) at which time the
      > top led goes out and the second 'network' led lights constantly green.
      > My sercomm utility can't find the slug at this stage, so I am assuming
      > that it is not in upgrade mode...
      >
      > Also, using the 'arping' command from linux to try to get into the
      > Redboot does not work for me either. In fact, if I ping 192.168.0.1
      > during the slug boot I never get any response (nor a continuous ping -b)

      This is just a guess, but I wonder of your slug's power supply is dying?
      Do you have another 5V source you can try instead?

    • gooner_ramit
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@...> wrote:

        > In article <gnftpk+l357@...>,
        > gooner_ramit <ukha@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I'm trying to reflash my slug. (have been running openslug for a
        long
        > > time, then one day it disappeared off of the network). I decided
        that I
        > > might as well try out the Debian firmware...
        >
        > Something changed to cause your network connection to be lost.
        >
        > > But I can't get it into update mode. With only the power and
        ethernet
        > > cables attached, I power up the slug with the reset button pushed
        and
        > > wait. Although the top 'ready' led does come on green, it very
        quickly
        > > goes out and the second 'ethernet' status led lights up green.
        There is
        > > no change in led status within 20 or so seconds of booting up the
        slug.
        > > BUT - if I carry out these steps with the network cable unplugged
        it
        > > goes through the update mode faultlessly; the top led lights
        orange for
        > > 10 or so seconds, then it switches to red and releasing the reset
        > > button makes the top led flash red and green - UNTIL I plug in my
        > > ethernet cable (well, its not much use without it ;) at which
        time the
        > > top led goes out and the second 'network' led lights constantly
        green.
        > > My sercomm utility can't find the slug at this stage, so I am
        assuming
        > > that it is not in upgrade mode...
        > >
        > > Also, using the 'arping' command from linux to try to get into
        the
        > > Redboot does not work for me either. In fact, if I ping
        192.168.0.1
        > > during the slug boot I never get any response (nor a continuous
        ping -b)

        > This is just a guess, but I wonder of your slug's power supply is
        dying?
        > Do you have another 5V source you can try instead?
        >
        > --
        > Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
        > Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/
        > Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter -
        http://counter.li.org/

        Bob

        Well diagnosed, it is a power problem - many thanks.

        I managed to find a double-ended USB cable (originally for a hard
        disk caddy) and employed Alternative 5 from the ForcePowerAlwaysOn
        wiki page to supply power via usb rather than the psu. And then my
        slug started behaving again - it booted off the old disk and I had
        ssh access too.

        I'm well chuffed, thanks again. At one stage (after 2 days of no
        activity at all on this group) I thought I'd killed the group ;-)

        Ady

        Cheltenham, near(ish) Bristol, UK