Update Mode not working

  • gooner_ramit
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2009
      I'm trying to reflash my slug. (have been running openslug for a long
      time, then one day it disappeared off of the network). I decided that I
      might as well try out the Debian firmware...

      But I can't get it into update mode. With only the power and ethernet
      cables attached, I power up the slug with the reset button pushed and
      wait. Although the top 'ready' led does come on green, it very quickly
      goes out and the second 'ethernet' status led lights up green. There is
      no change in led status within 20 or so seconds of booting up the slug.
      BUT - if I carry out these steps with the network cable unplugged it
      goes through the update mode faultlessly; the top led lights orange for
      10 or so seconds, then it switches to red and releasing the reset
      button makes the top led flash red and green - UNTIL I plug in my
      ethernet cable (well, its not much use without it ;) at which time the
      top led goes out and the second 'network' led lights constantly green.
      My sercomm utility can't find the slug at this stage, so I am assuming
      that it is not in upgrade mode...

      Also, using the 'arping' command from linux to try to get into the
      Redboot does not work for me either. In fact, if I ping 192.168.0.1
      during the slug boot I never get any response (nor a continuous ping -b)

      Thanks

      Ady
    • Bob Cox
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2009
        In article <gnftpk+l357@...>,
        gooner_ramit <ukha@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to reflash my slug. (have been running openslug for a long
        > time, then one day it disappeared off of the network). I decided that I
        > might as well try out the Debian firmware...

        Something changed to cause your network connection to be lost.

        > But I can't get it into update mode. With only the power and ethernet
        > cables attached, I power up the slug with the reset button pushed and
        > wait. Although the top 'ready' led does come on green, it very quickly
        > goes out and the second 'ethernet' status led lights up green. There is
        > no change in led status within 20 or so seconds of booting up the slug.
        > BUT - if I carry out these steps with the network cable unplugged it
        > goes through the update mode faultlessly; the top led lights orange for
        > 10 or so seconds, then it switches to red and releasing the reset
        > button makes the top led flash red and green - UNTIL I plug in my
        > ethernet cable (well, its not much use without it ;) at which time the
        > top led goes out and the second 'network' led lights constantly green.
        > My sercomm utility can't find the slug at this stage, so I am assuming
        > that it is not in upgrade mode...
        >
        > Also, using the 'arping' command from linux to try to get into the
        > Redboot does not work for me either. In fact, if I ping 192.168.0.1
        > during the slug boot I never get any response (nor a continuous ping -b)

        This is just a guess, but I wonder of your slug's power supply is dying?
        Do you have another 5V source you can try instead?

      • gooner_ramit
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Bob Cox <bobcox1955@...> wrote:

          > In article <gnftpk+l357@...>,
          > gooner_ramit <ukha@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm trying to reflash my slug. (have been running openslug for a
          long
          > > time, then one day it disappeared off of the network). I decided
          that I
          > > might as well try out the Debian firmware...
          >
          > Something changed to cause your network connection to be lost.
          >
          > > But I can't get it into update mode. With only the power and
          ethernet
          > > cables attached, I power up the slug with the reset button pushed
          and
          > > wait. Although the top 'ready' led does come on green, it very
          quickly
          > > goes out and the second 'ethernet' status led lights up green.
          There is
          > > no change in led status within 20 or so seconds of booting up the
          slug.
          > > BUT - if I carry out these steps with the network cable unplugged
          it
          > > goes through the update mode faultlessly; the top led lights
          orange for
          > > 10 or so seconds, then it switches to red and releasing the reset
          > > button makes the top led flash red and green - UNTIL I plug in my
          > > ethernet cable (well, its not much use without it ;) at which
          time the
          > > top led goes out and the second 'network' led lights constantly
          green.
          > > My sercomm utility can't find the slug at this stage, so I am
          assuming
          > > that it is not in upgrade mode...
          > >
          > > Also, using the 'arping' command from linux to try to get into
          the
          > > Redboot does not work for me either. In fact, if I ping
          192.168.0.1
          > > during the slug boot I never get any response (nor a continuous
          ping -b)

          > This is just a guess, but I wonder of your slug's power supply is
          dying?
          > Do you have another 5V source you can try instead?
          >
          > --
          > Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
          > Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/
          > Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter -
          http://counter.li.org/

          Bob

          Well diagnosed, it is a power problem - many thanks.

          I managed to find a double-ended USB cable (originally for a hard
          disk caddy) and employed Alternative 5 from the ForcePowerAlwaysOn
          wiki page to supply power via usb rather than the psu. And then my
          slug started behaving again - it booted off the old disk and I had
          ssh access too.

          I'm well chuffed, thanks again. At one stage (after 2 days of no
          activity at all on this group) I thought I'd killed the group ;-)

          Ady

          Cheltenham, near(ish) Bristol, UK