Re: [nslu2-general] Re: weird mounting behaviour

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
      doc_felixander wrote:

      > Most of the time i have only the root drive plugged into Port 2.
      > I don't use /public or "DISK 1".
      >
      > There is /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1, which always
      > refers to the HDD.

      No, it should not. I'm still very confused. HDD_1_1_1 is the mount
      point for an external NTFS-formatted or FAT-formatted device -- what is
      the output of "mount" on your system? I'm trying to figure out if you
      have only one disk, and you are unslung to it, why you have something
      mounted on this?

      Or is it the case that there is nothing mounted here, and you are using
      it for storage? If so, how? It should not be exposed via samba as a
      share if there's nothing mounted on it -- so are you thinking that from
      Linux on the device itself, you can use that directory for storage? (If
      so, no, that's quite wrong!)

      > (However the root structure repeats only once, opposed to your example.)
      > With only the root drive (connected to [2]), HDD_1_1_1 and its
      > contents also appear under /share/hdd/data.
      > So far, so good.

      As I noted above, there should be no contents in that directory --
      unless you put some there, which you shouldn't be doing!

      > Now, if I plug in a drive into Port 1, it gets mounted in
      > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 but NOWHERE ELSE.
      > There seems to be no exclusive mount point for [Port 1], and both
      > drives use HDD_1_1_1.

      Again, unless you have a FAT or NTFS partition on the main drive, that's
      not the case -- both drives DO NOT use /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1. Only
      the new drive uses that mount point. Your main drive is simply "/" --
      thus, it contains the mount-point /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 -- and if
      you have chosen to also try to store data under there, then indeed that
      data will appear to vanish if you mount another volume at that point!

      Data for the main drive is at / and you (normally) use /public to store
      all user files. Data for the add-on FAT or NTFS disk will be in
      /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1. If you follow those rules, then your data is
      always present, and the Linksys code will always expose that data via
      the correct network shares.

      > -->This means the only place where i can access the drive in [Port 1]
      > switches between that drive (if plugged in) and
      > [/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/].
      >
      > ergo: I can't set up a proper share for the [1] drive (which should
      > disappear if the drive isn't plugged in) .

      The Linksys code sets up the shares for /public (mapped to "DISK 1") and
      for the other device (mapped to "HDD_1_1_1"). You should have to do
      nothing to support that standard configuration.

      > I also suspect this messes with the slug's stability if i plug/unplug
      > the [1] drive.

      Hot-plugging is not technically supported, so figure that stability is
      questionable if you hot-plug regardless of where/how it's done.

      > I hope this is a bit more clear.
      >
      > Again, thanks.
      > Felix

      Mike (mwester)