Re: weird mounting behaviour

  • doc_felixander
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > "DISK 1" is /public on your drive. What is HDD_1_1_1 then? Do you have
      > another drive plugged in, normally?

      > Yes, / == /share/flash/data -- so that means that there are multiple
      > paths to things in the system. So I bet the following also works to
      > reach HDD_1_1_1:
      >
      > /share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data

      > I'm not sure what the problem is, as you've really not mentioned what it
      > is that isn't working! Can you clarify what is not functioning for you?
      >
      > Mike (mwester)

      thanks for the reply.

      yeah, I understand this was a bit unclear. I'll give it another try.

      Most of the time i have only the root drive plugged into Port 2.
      I don't use /public or "DISK 1".

      There is /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1, which always
      refers to the HDD.
      (However the root structure repeats only once, opposed to your example.)
      With only the root drive (connected to [2]), HDD_1_1_1 and its
      contents also appear under /share/hdd/data.
      So far, so good.

      Now, if I plug in a drive into Port 1, it gets mounted in
      /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 but NOWHERE ELSE.
      There seems to be no exclusive mount point for [Port 1], and both
      drives use HDD_1_1_1.

      -->This means the only place where i can access the drive in [Port 1]
      switches between that drive (if plugged in) and
      [/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/].

      ergo: I can't set up a proper share for the [1] drive (which should
      disappear if the drive isn't plugged in) .
      I also suspect this messes with the slug's stability if i plug/unplug
      the [1] drive.

      I hope this is a bit more clear.

      Again, thanks.
      Felix
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
        doc_felixander wrote:

        > Most of the time i have only the root drive plugged into Port 2.
        > I don't use /public or "DISK 1".
        >
        > There is /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1, which always
        > refers to the HDD.

        No, it should not. I'm still very confused. HDD_1_1_1 is the mount
        point for an external NTFS-formatted or FAT-formatted device -- what is
        the output of "mount" on your system? I'm trying to figure out if you
        have only one disk, and you are unslung to it, why you have something
        mounted on this?

        Or is it the case that there is nothing mounted here, and you are using
        it for storage? If so, how? It should not be exposed via samba as a
        share if there's nothing mounted on it -- so are you thinking that from
        Linux on the device itself, you can use that directory for storage? (If
        so, no, that's quite wrong!)

        > (However the root structure repeats only once, opposed to your example.)
        > With only the root drive (connected to [2]), HDD_1_1_1 and its
        > contents also appear under /share/hdd/data.
        > So far, so good.

        As I noted above, there should be no contents in that directory --
        unless you put some there, which you shouldn't be doing!

        > Now, if I plug in a drive into Port 1, it gets mounted in
        > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 but NOWHERE ELSE.
        > There seems to be no exclusive mount point for [Port 1], and both
        > drives use HDD_1_1_1.

        Again, unless you have a FAT or NTFS partition on the main drive, that's
        not the case -- both drives DO NOT use /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1. Only
        the new drive uses that mount point. Your main drive is simply "/" --
        thus, it contains the mount-point /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 -- and if
        you have chosen to also try to store data under there, then indeed that
        data will appear to vanish if you mount another volume at that point!

        Data for the main drive is at / and you (normally) use /public to store
        all user files. Data for the add-on FAT or NTFS disk will be in
        /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1. If you follow those rules, then your data is
        always present, and the Linksys code will always expose that data via
        the correct network shares.

        > -->This means the only place where i can access the drive in [Port 1]
        > switches between that drive (if plugged in) and
        > [/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/].
        >
        > ergo: I can't set up a proper share for the [1] drive (which should
        > disappear if the drive isn't plugged in) .

        The Linksys code sets up the shares for /public (mapped to "DISK 1") and
        for the other device (mapped to "HDD_1_1_1"). You should have to do
        nothing to support that standard configuration.

        > I also suspect this messes with the slug's stability if i plug/unplug
        > the [1] drive.

        Hot-plugging is not technically supported, so figure that stability is
        questionable if you hot-plug regardless of where/how it's done.

        > I hope this is a bit more clear.
        >
        > Again, thanks.
        > Felix

        Mike (mwester)