weird mounting behaviour

  • doc_felixander
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2009
      hiya everyone!

      i've got a little problem here.

      so far i've managed to set up my slug the way i wanted.
      it's running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta; samba, vsftpd and apache are
      working.

      my root drive is a USB HDD plugged into port 2 (i assume this is right
      since the root drive is going to be the only native drive).

      i have remote access from win xp to both my shares (/ and
      /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1).

      here's the thing:
      as soon as i plug in a drive into port 1, everything gets messed up.
      the drive in port 1 now appears as the HDD_1_1_1 share, and what used
      to be there now is in /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1.

      (i guess it's weird but normal in unslung that / is just a shadow of
      /share/flash/data/)

      i'd really like to have the flexibility of a removable drive, so what
      can i do? i really suck at linux and don't want to mess up the mount
      points...
      any help appreciated.

      TIA
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2009
        doc_felixander wrote:
        > hiya everyone!
        >
        > i've got a little problem here.
        >
        > so far i've managed to set up my slug the way i wanted.
        > it's running V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta; samba, vsftpd and apache are
        > working.
        >
        > my root drive is a USB HDD plugged into port 2 (i assume this is right
        > since the root drive is going to be the only native drive).
        >
        > i have remote access from win xp to both my shares (/ and
        > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1).

        "DISK 1" is /public on your drive. What is HDD_1_1_1 then? Do you have
        another drive plugged in, normally?

        > here's the thing:
        > as soon as i plug in a drive into port 1, everything gets messed up.
        > the drive in port 1 now appears as the HDD_1_1_1 share, and what used
        > to be there now is in /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1.
        >
        > (i guess it's weird but normal in unslung that / is just a shadow of
        > /share/flash/data/)

        Yes, / == /share/flash/data -- so that means that there are multiple
        paths to things in the system. So I bet the following also works to
        reach HDD_1_1_1:

        /share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data

        But that's just a side-effect of the way it's mounted; it should not be
        visible to anyone. There's a share named "HDD_1_1_1", and you reference
        it on the NSLU2 as /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 -- the fact that there are
        other ways to get to it should just be ignored.

        > i'd really like to have the flexibility of a removable drive, so what
        > can i do? i really suck at linux and don't want to mess up the mount
        > points...
        > any help appreciated.

        I'm not sure what the problem is, as you've really not mentioned what it
        is that isn't working! Can you clarify what is not functioning for you?

        Mike (mwester)
      • doc_felixander
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > "DISK 1" is /public on your drive. What is HDD_1_1_1 then? Do you have
          > another drive plugged in, normally?

          > Yes, / == /share/flash/data -- so that means that there are multiple
          > paths to things in the system. So I bet the following also works to
          > reach HDD_1_1_1:
          >
          > /share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data

          > I'm not sure what the problem is, as you've really not mentioned what it
          > is that isn't working! Can you clarify what is not functioning for you?
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          thanks for the reply.

          yeah, I understand this was a bit unclear. I'll give it another try.

          Most of the time i have only the root drive plugged into Port 2.
          I don't use /public or "DISK 1".

          There is /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1, which always
          refers to the HDD.
          (However the root structure repeats only once, opposed to your example.)
          With only the root drive (connected to [2]), HDD_1_1_1 and its
          contents also appear under /share/hdd/data.
          So far, so good.

          Now, if I plug in a drive into Port 1, it gets mounted in
          /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 but NOWHERE ELSE.
          There seems to be no exclusive mount point for [Port 1], and both
          drives use HDD_1_1_1.

          -->This means the only place where i can access the drive in [Port 1]
          switches between that drive (if plugged in) and
          [/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/].

          ergo: I can't set up a proper share for the [1] drive (which should
          disappear if the drive isn't plugged in) .
          I also suspect this messes with the slug's stability if i plug/unplug
          the [1] drive.

          I hope this is a bit more clear.

          Again, thanks.
          Felix
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
            doc_felixander wrote:

            > Most of the time i have only the root drive plugged into Port 2.
            > I don't use /public or "DISK 1".
            >
            > There is /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1, which always
            > refers to the HDD.

            No, it should not. I'm still very confused. HDD_1_1_1 is the mount
            point for an external NTFS-formatted or FAT-formatted device -- what is
            the output of "mount" on your system? I'm trying to figure out if you
            have only one disk, and you are unslung to it, why you have something
            mounted on this?

            Or is it the case that there is nothing mounted here, and you are using
            it for storage? If so, how? It should not be exposed via samba as a
            share if there's nothing mounted on it -- so are you thinking that from
            Linux on the device itself, you can use that directory for storage? (If
            so, no, that's quite wrong!)

            > (However the root structure repeats only once, opposed to your example.)
            > With only the root drive (connected to [2]), HDD_1_1_1 and its
            > contents also appear under /share/hdd/data.
            > So far, so good.

            As I noted above, there should be no contents in that directory --
            unless you put some there, which you shouldn't be doing!

            > Now, if I plug in a drive into Port 1, it gets mounted in
            > /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 but NOWHERE ELSE.
            > There seems to be no exclusive mount point for [Port 1], and both
            > drives use HDD_1_1_1.

            Again, unless you have a FAT or NTFS partition on the main drive, that's
            not the case -- both drives DO NOT use /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1. Only
            the new drive uses that mount point. Your main drive is simply "/" --
            thus, it contains the mount-point /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 -- and if
            you have chosen to also try to store data under there, then indeed that
            data will appear to vanish if you mount another volume at that point!

            Data for the main drive is at / and you (normally) use /public to store
            all user files. Data for the add-on FAT or NTFS disk will be in
            /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1. If you follow those rules, then your data is
            always present, and the Linksys code will always expose that data via
            the correct network shares.

            > -->This means the only place where i can access the drive in [Port 1]
            > switches between that drive (if plugged in) and
            > [/share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/].
            >
            > ergo: I can't set up a proper share for the [1] drive (which should
            > disappear if the drive isn't plugged in) .

            The Linksys code sets up the shares for /public (mapped to "DISK 1") and
            for the other device (mapped to "HDD_1_1_1"). You should have to do
            nothing to support that standard configuration.

            > I also suspect this messes with the slug's stability if i plug/unplug
            > the [1] drive.

            Hot-plugging is not technically supported, so figure that stability is
            questionable if you hot-plug regardless of where/how it's done.

            > I hope this is a bit more clear.
            >
            > Again, thanks.
            > Felix

            Mike (mwester)