Re: When the disk gets disconnected with the power on

  • Joel Gebhart
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond

      > <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>

      I'm still teething on the Linux command line. But with docbillnet's
      vote of confidence that fscking would work, and the step by step in
      the above wiki from Robert, I finally figured out how to do it. It
      worked perfectly and the nslu2 is happy again. The info in the wiki
      was a little outdated, and wasn't quite flexible enough to deal with
      any situation, so I tried to substantially rewrite the fscking part.
      It should work for most anyone now.

      Thanks all.
    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
        >
        > > <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>
        >
        > I'm still teething on the Linux command line. But with docbillnet's
        > vote of confidence that fscking would work, and the step by step in
        > the above wiki from Robert, I finally figured out how to do it. It
        > worked perfectly and the nslu2 is happy again. The info in the wiki
        > was a little outdated, and wasn't quite flexible enough to deal with
        > any situation, so I tried to substantially rewrite the fscking part.
        > It should work for most anyone now.
        >
        > Thanks all.

        If you actually have a hardware failure, then it doesn't hurt to
        rebuild the swap partitions as well. I made the mistake keeping swap
        partitions on my usb flash drive. After a few months I started
        noticing random memory errors. Rebuilding the swap partitions helped.
        Eventually it occurred to me I was hitting the maximum number of
        rewrites on some of the swap blocks... Now I still have swap
        partitions on the usb flash drive, but I also have swap partitions on
        the regular drives set to a higher priority. So the swap partitions
        an the usb flash drive are only used when I boot without the regular
        drives turned on.

        Bill
      • Joel Gebhart
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2009
          Well, this happened to me again, the neighbor kicked the slug power cord off of my power strip while borrowing my computer. When I turned the slug back on, the only thing that happens is the Ethernet led lights up and occasionally flickers. I fscked both slug partitions, but when I plugged the drive back in the slug, the slug wasn't fixed.

          How long should I wait to see if the slug will spontaneously come back to life? And if it doesn't, is there a FAQ I could follow to try to resuscitate it?

          Thanks