Re: [nslu2-general] When the disk gets disconnected with the power on

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
      In message <5zDne7AqnGkJFw6w@...>, Robert Hammond
      <rob.hammond@...> writes

      <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond

        > <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>

        I'm still teething on the Linux command line. But with docbillnet's
        vote of confidence that fscking would work, and the step by step in
        the above wiki from Robert, I finally figured out how to do it. It
        worked perfectly and the nslu2 is happy again. The info in the wiki
        was a little outdated, and wasn't quite flexible enough to deal with
        any situation, so I tried to substantially rewrite the fscking part.
        It should work for most anyone now.

        Thanks all.
      • docbillnet
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
          >
          > > <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>
          >
          > I'm still teething on the Linux command line. But with docbillnet's
          > vote of confidence that fscking would work, and the step by step in
          > the above wiki from Robert, I finally figured out how to do it. It
          > worked perfectly and the nslu2 is happy again. The info in the wiki
          > was a little outdated, and wasn't quite flexible enough to deal with
          > any situation, so I tried to substantially rewrite the fscking part.
          > It should work for most anyone now.
          >
          > Thanks all.

          If you actually have a hardware failure, then it doesn't hurt to
          rebuild the swap partitions as well. I made the mistake keeping swap
          partitions on my usb flash drive. After a few months I started
          noticing random memory errors. Rebuilding the swap partitions helped.
          Eventually it occurred to me I was hitting the maximum number of
          rewrites on some of the swap blocks... Now I still have swap
          partitions on the usb flash drive, but I also have swap partitions on
          the regular drives set to a higher priority. So the swap partitions
          an the usb flash drive are only used when I boot without the regular
          drives turned on.

          Bill
        • Joel Gebhart
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19 8:05 PM
            Well, this happened to me again, the neighbor kicked the slug power cord off of my power strip while borrowing my computer. When I turned the slug back on, the only thing that happens is the Ethernet led lights up and occasionally flickers. I fscked both slug partitions, but when I plugged the drive back in the slug, the slug wasn't fixed.

            How long should I wait to see if the slug will spontaneously come back to life? And if it doesn't, is there a FAQ I could follow to try to resuscitate it?

            Thanks