Re: When the disk gets disconnected with the power on

  • docbillnet
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
      This happens to me quite regularly when I'm moving things around. I
      accidentally unplug the wrong cable, or knock something out of place.
      Most of the time, if I am patient, eventually the NSLU2 will start
      up again, it just takes a long time. Sometimes, however, it just
      won't come back. Then I plug the drives into a Linux computer, run
      "e2fsck -f -y" on each of the ext3 partitions. After that the NSLU2
      should be able to boot normally again.

      If you don't have a Linux computer handy, I recommend for next time
      you prepare two boot media's for your NSLU2. Then if one fails to
      work, you can swap in the second and use that to repair your first
      boot media. If you are booting from a USB stick or such, you can
      just mirror a working boot disk to another identical USB stick with dd.

      Bill
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
        In message <gmo2f5+onea@...>, Joel Gebhart
        <colin@...> writes
        >Hi All,
        >
        >My slug fell off my desk and got caught in a tangle of wires. But it
        >pulled the USB disk cable out. A very unfortunate turn of events. I
        >immediately turned the slug off, reconnected the hard drive, then
        >pressed the power button. It no longer beeps at power up, the ethernet
        >light comes right on and will occasionally wink, but no other lights
        >come on. It won't bring up the config page, there is no response. The
        >power button won't turn the unit off. Is there any hope of recovering
        >this install, or should I just blow away the disk and unsling again?

        If you are using unslung firmware then it is quite easy to fix file
        system faults, there are details in the Wiki I think under the FAQ
        section.

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
          In message <5zDne7AqnGkJFw6w@...>, Robert Hammond
          <rob.hammond@...> writes

          <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond

            > <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>

            I'm still teething on the Linux command line. But with docbillnet's
            vote of confidence that fscking would work, and the step by step in
            the above wiki from Robert, I finally figured out how to do it. It
            worked perfectly and the nslu2 is happy again. The info in the wiki
            was a little outdated, and wasn't quite flexible enough to deal with
            any situation, so I tried to substantially rewrite the fscking part.
            It should work for most anyone now.

            Thanks all.
          • docbillnet
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2009
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Gebhart" <colin@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond
              >
              > > <Http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors>
              >
              > I'm still teething on the Linux command line. But with docbillnet's
              > vote of confidence that fscking would work, and the step by step in
              > the above wiki from Robert, I finally figured out how to do it. It
              > worked perfectly and the nslu2 is happy again. The info in the wiki
              > was a little outdated, and wasn't quite flexible enough to deal with
              > any situation, so I tried to substantially rewrite the fscking part.
              > It should work for most anyone now.
              >
              > Thanks all.

              If you actually have a hardware failure, then it doesn't hurt to
              rebuild the swap partitions as well. I made the mistake keeping swap
              partitions on my usb flash drive. After a few months I started
              noticing random memory errors. Rebuilding the swap partitions helped.
              Eventually it occurred to me I was hitting the maximum number of
              rewrites on some of the swap blocks... Now I still have swap
              partitions on the usb flash drive, but I also have swap partitions on
              the regular drives set to a higher priority. So the swap partitions
              an the usb flash drive are only used when I boot without the regular
              drives turned on.

              Bill
            • Joel Gebhart
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19, 2009
                Well, this happened to me again, the neighbor kicked the slug power cord off of my power strip while borrowing my computer. When I turned the slug back on, the only thing that happens is the Ethernet led lights up and occasionally flickers. I fscked both slug partitions, but when I plugged the drive back in the slug, the slug wasn't fixed.

                How long should I wait to see if the slug will spontaneously come back to life? And if it doesn't, is there a FAQ I could follow to try to resuscitate it?

                Thanks