How to discover ip address of slug

  • dormantat
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
      At home, I can get the ip address of my slug by checking the router's
      DHCP table to see what ip address it has assigned to the MAC address.

      How can I get the ip address when I plug it into a network where I
      don't have access to whatever assigns ip addresses?

      One solution would be a script that uses the slug's beep to signal the
      ip address. I can write a bash script to do this at the terminal, but
      don't know how to install it so it runs during the boot process.

      Any help on that, or other suggestions, would be welcome.

      My slug runs Debian and I love it.
    • S├ębastien Lorquet
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
        on a linux PC, as root (may be necessary?) use ping -b to run a broadcast
        ping: all host on your local net will respond. Next you can check which one
        your slug is using =)

        example for a 192.168.0.0/24 net: ping -b 192.168.0.255

        On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM, dormantat <dormantat@...> wrote:

        > At home, I can get the ip address of my slug by checking the router's
        > DHCP table to see what ip address it has assigned to the MAC address.
        >
        > How can I get the ip address when I plug it into a network where I
        > don't have access to whatever assigns ip addresses?
        >
        > One solution would be a script that uses the slug's beep to signal the
        > ip address. I can write a bash script to do this at the terminal, but
        > don't know how to install it so it runs during the boot process.
        >
        > Any help on that, or other suggestions, would be welcome.
        >
        > My slug runs Debian and I love it.

      • Stanley P. Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2009
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dormantat" <dormantat@...> wrote:

          > At home, I can get the ip address of my slug by checking the router's
          > DHCP table to see what ip address it has assigned to the MAC address.
          >
          > How can I get the ip address when I plug it into a network where I
          > don't have access to whatever assigns ip addresses?
          >
          > One solution would be a script that uses the slug's beep to signal the
          > ip address. I can write a bash script to do this at the terminal, but
          > don't know how to install it so it runs during the boot process.
          >
          > Any help on that, or other suggestions, would be welcome.
          >
          > My slug runs Debian and I love it.

          This would work if you have permission to scan your subnet.

          nmap -v -sP 192.168.2.0/24

          <snip>
          Host 192.168.2.250 appears to be down.
          Host slug1.home (192.168.2.251) appears to be up.
          Host slug2.home (192.168.2.252) appears to be up.
          Host 192.168.2.253 appears to be up.
          Host 192.168.2.254 appears to be down.
          <snip>

          More info:
          http://nmap.org/ or man nmap or just nmap for quick help.
        • Kevan Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "dormantat" <dormantat@...> wrote:

            > At home, I can get the ip address of my slug by checking the router's
            > DHCP table to see what ip address it has assigned to the MAC address.
            >
            > How can I get the ip address when I plug it into a network where I
            > don't have access to whatever assigns ip addresses?
            >
            > One solution would be a script that uses the slug's beep to signal the
            > ip address. I can write a bash script to do this at the terminal, but
            > don't know how to install it so it runs during the boot process.
            >
            > Any help on that, or other suggestions, would be welcome.
            >
            > My slug runs Debian and I love it.

            Find out the MAC address of your slug, ping the broadcast address of
            the network you are on, then run arp -a from a command prompt...the
            slugs IP should show up associated with it's MAC address.