Bricked NSLU2 ?

  • Harsh Baste
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      I recently brought along my NSLU2 from the US and plugged it into a
      power socket in Singapore. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to
      the power adaptor rating and it turns out that the adaptor doesn't
      step down the input supply current from 230V/60Hz (Asia) to 110V/50Hz
      (US).

      The NSLU2 doesn't power up of course but what I'm more worried about
      is - have I bricked the NSLU2 or just bricked the power adapter?

      Any assistance would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
    • sdm485
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        The power supply has probably died but the NSLU2 is OK. You could connect a voltmeter
        to the ends to see what is there. I would be careful about the replacement power supply
        though. The NSLU2 feeds the power supply voltage directly to the USB ports (so it can drive
        USB hard drives I expect) so the voltage is important. I would suggest you get a similar
        regulated 5V supply. The ones that come with USB hubs are a good choice but you would
        have to change the connector.
        Steve

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Harsh Baste" <harshbaste@...> wrote:

        > I recently brought along my NSLU2 from the US and plugged it into a
        > power socket in Singapore. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to
        > the power adaptor rating and it turns out that the adaptor doesn't
        > step down the input supply current from 230V/60Hz (Asia) to 110V/50Hz
        > (US).
        >
        > The NSLU2 doesn't power up of course but what I'm more worried about
        > is - have I bricked the NSLU2 or just bricked the power adapter?
        >
        > Any assistance would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,

      • Harsh Baste
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2009
          I managed to find myself a 5V 3A power supply and everything is just
          fine. Thank god the little bugger is still working :)

          -H

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

          > The power supply has probably died but the NSLU2 is OK. You could
          connect a voltmeter
          > to the ends to see what is there. I would be careful about the
          replacement power supply
          > though. The NSLU2 feeds the power supply voltage directly to the USB
          ports (so it can drive
          > USB hard drives I expect) so the voltage is important. I would
          suggest you get a similar
          > regulated 5V supply. The ones that come with USB hubs are a good
          choice but you would
          > have to change the connector.
          > Steve
          >

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Harsh Baste" <harshbaste@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently brought along my NSLU2 from the US and plugged it into a
          > > power socket in Singapore. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to
          > > the power adaptor rating and it turns out that the adaptor doesn't
          > > step down the input supply current from 230V/60Hz (Asia) to 110V/50Hz
          > > (US).
          > >
          > > The NSLU2 doesn't power up of course but what I'm more worried about
          > > is - have I bricked the NSLU2 or just bricked the power adapter?
          > >
          > > Any assistance would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > Thanks,

        • janne5011
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2009
            The little bugger is indeed hard to get rid of=)