Re: XBOX 360 streaming and nslu2

  • johngt_uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2009
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "humpda" <humpda@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      > Well Santa bought me an xbox 360 and I have an old nslu2 handging
      > around with a coolermaster external case and samsung 600 gig HDD
      > attached. I would love to be able to use this to stream to my 360 but
      > obviously the upnp function on the slug is not compatible with the 360
      > (or vice versa). Anyways, I guess I am asking what are my options -
      > twonky is no longer providing the download for nslu2 I believe, which
      > I think was my best option. Is there any other packages that are
      > stable enough and linux novice friendly (I am using latest unslung
      > firmware). Many thanks for your time. Cheers

      Hello Humpda,

      Lucky you getting a new Xbox 360. Santa didn't bring me that PS3 :(
      I use ushare to stream to my 360. Advice is on the NSLU2 webpage and
      there are other media servers available if you would prefer to use them.

      Basic instructions:
      ipkg install ushare

      vi /opt/etc/ushare.conf
      Go down to the shared folders and add /share/hdd/data/...[You will
      need to find the name by #cd /share/hdd/data/ and then type ls enter
      to see what your drive has been called. Mine was HDD_1_1_1. You then
      close vi down and type at prompt #killall ushare

      Then type in ushare -D -x -f /opt/etc/ushare.conf and away you go.
      Now in xbox360 go to video library and there should be a UPNP device
      known as Linksys.. or whatever you have called the box. Select it and
      browse away.

      360 has issues with mkv files and also various other file types and
      bit rates. Either need to re-encode or get a mkv playing media
      player, hence the PS3 ;)

      Best of luck