telnet: Connection refused / reset root password

  • yhoo_does_my_head_in
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2009
      I forgot the root password on my slug running OpenSlug. At least
      that's what it was called back in the day.. it's been chugging along
      nicely ever since and only now do I discover the name has changed.
      Anyway..

      Because of this I could no longer telnet to the slug. The last time
      this happened to me, the reset procedure was very trivial. It didn't
      turn out to be just as easy this time. This was pretty much the only
      info I could find:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForgotRootPasswd and was also
      what I tried. It didn't work. Now I'm locked out with this message:

      telnet 192.168.0.100
      Trying 192.168.0.100...

      I've both tried setting an empty password:
      root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
      and copying the password from another user in the passwd file (hoping
      the user name isn't required in encrypting the password)

      So how do I reset the root password? Any help is much appreciated!