Re: [nslu2-general] Which process updates all smb.conf copies?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
      ernstjanoud wrote:
      > L.S.
      >
      > I noticed that when I change /etc/samba/smb.conf all other copies, even
      > a backup copy on a share (/share/hdd/data/public/...) gets the same
      > changes as well. What process is doing this (stock Linksys firmware)?
      > Samba itself?

      Well, you don't tell us what firmware you are running -- but in this
      case, the only thing that exhibits that behavior is the Linksys
      firmware. See the wiki for information on how to influence that
      behavior using diversion scripts and similar techniques.

      Mike (mwester)
    • ernstjanoud
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
        wrote:

        > ernstjanoud wrote:
        > > L.S.
        > >
        > > I noticed that when I change /etc/samba/smb.conf all other
        copies, even
        > > a backup copy on a share (/share/hdd/data/public/...) gets the
        same
        > > changes as well. What process is doing this (stock Linksys
        firmware)?
        > > Samba itself?
        >
        > Well, you don't tell us what firmware you are running -- but in this
        > case, the only thing that exhibits that behavior is the Linksys
        > firmware. See the wiki for information on how to influence that
        > behavior using diversion scripts and similar techniques.
        >
        > Mike (mwester)

        Firmware is V2.3R24 (I know; old, but it works for me). What do you
        mean with 'Linksys firmware'? As far as I know the NSLU2 runs Redboot
        which boots Linux, so it must be some process and or the kernel that
        catches all write accesses to SMB.CONF and subsequently updates all
        other copies available on all connected file-systems.

        I know that /etc/samba/smb.conf links
        to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf but that even a (non-linked) copy
        on /share/hdd/data/public/Ernst/NSLU2 (harddisk on USB port) is
        updated when I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf using vi is very, very
        weird... and the update is immediate so it must be something within
        the kernel and/or Samba... if someone can enlighten me on this;
        please...

        Ernst
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2008
          ernstjanoud wrote:
          > Firmware is V2.3R24 (I know; old, but it works for me). What do you
          > mean with 'Linksys firmware'? As far as I know the NSLU2 runs Redboot
          > which boots Linux, so it must be some process and or the kernel that
          > catches all write accesses to SMB.CONF and subsequently updates all
          > other copies available on all connected file-systems.
          >
          > I know that /etc/samba/smb.conf links
          > to /share/hdd/conf/share/smb.conf but that even a (non-linked) copy
          > on /share/hdd/data/public/Ernst/NSLU2 (harddisk on USB port) is
          > updated when I edit /etc/samba/smb.conf using vi is very, very
          > weird... and the update is immediate so it must be something within
          > the kernel and/or Samba... if someone can enlighten me on this;
          > please...

          Linksys provides a set of compiled code that is not part of the kernel,
          nor samba -- it is this compiled code (for which we have no source
          code)that manages the smb.conf files.

          There appear to be many copies of the smb.conf file; as you've noted,
          one of them is actually a symbolic link to another. The
          /share/hdd/data/public/Ernst/NSLU2 copy is actually the very same file
          as the other -- this is because the partition is actually mounted in two
          places (very confusing, but it is how the Linksys firmware wants it to
          work).

          Each time the device reboots (but also at various other times triggered
          by other events), the Linksys code will run, and it will re-write the
          smb.conf file(s) based on internal information. This internal
          information is synthesized from information you have entered on the
          various configuration web pages, the state of the device in terms of
          what disks/partitions are to be found where, and other factors. The
          result is that any edits you make will be lost, at some point in the future.

          If you are running the stock Linksys firmware, there's nothing you can
          really do to alter this behavior. If you are running Unslung firmware,
          then the wiki describes ways that you can change things around to suit
          your specific needs.

          Mike (mwester)