XBOX 360 streaming and nslu2

  • humpda
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2008
      Hi
      Well Santa bought me an xbox 360 and I have an old nslu2 handging
      around with a coolermaster external case and samsung 600 gig HDD
      attached. I would love to be able to use this to stream to my 360 but
      obviously the upnp function on the slug is not compatible with the 360
      (or vice versa). Anyways, I guess I am asking what are my options -
      twonky is no longer providing the download for nslu2 I believe, which
      I think was my best option. Is there any other packages that are
      stable enough and linux novice friendly (I am using latest unslung
      firmware). Many thanks for your time. Cheers
    • johngt_uk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2009
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "humpda" <humpda@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > Well Santa bought me an xbox 360 and I have an old nslu2 handging
        > around with a coolermaster external case and samsung 600 gig HDD
        > attached. I would love to be able to use this to stream to my 360 but
        > obviously the upnp function on the slug is not compatible with the 360
        > (or vice versa). Anyways, I guess I am asking what are my options -
        > twonky is no longer providing the download for nslu2 I believe, which
        > I think was my best option. Is there any other packages that are
        > stable enough and linux novice friendly (I am using latest unslung
        > firmware). Many thanks for your time. Cheers

        Hello Humpda,

        Lucky you getting a new Xbox 360. Santa didn't bring me that PS3 :(
        I use ushare to stream to my 360. Advice is on the NSLU2 webpage and
        there are other media servers available if you would prefer to use them.

        Basic instructions:
        ipkg install ushare

        vi /opt/etc/ushare.conf
        Go down to the shared folders and add /share/hdd/data/...[You will
        need to find the name by #cd /share/hdd/data/ and then type ls enter
        to see what your drive has been called. Mine was HDD_1_1_1. You then
        close vi down and type at prompt #killall ushare

        Then type in ushare -D -x -f /opt/etc/ushare.conf and away you go.
        Now in xbox360 go to video library and there should be a UPNP device
        known as Linksys.. or whatever you have called the box. Select it and
        browse away.

        360 has issues with mkv files and also various other file types and
        bit rates. Either need to re-encode or get a mkv playing media
        player, hence the PS3 ;)

        Best of luck