Shadow Passwords

  • Hiram Lester, Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2008
      I am a fairly new slug user. I have been running uNSLUng 6.10-beta on
      my NSLU2 for about a month and have begun to realise just how limiting
      the LinkSys webGUI is. My password on my Windows box is longer than the
      8 characters allowed in a passwd file. While the WebGUI lets you enter
      a longer password, it actually mungs up the passwd file and stores part
      of the hash where the shell goes. Not only does it mung the file where
      you can't login interactively, the longer passwords STILL don't seem to
      work. I see an entry on the wiki about enabling shadow passwords, but
      it doesn't seem to indicate if uNLSUng or any other distribution has
      full support for shadow passwords or not. I'm still having fun with
      uNLSUng, but I'm about ready to try OpenWRT or another distribution.
      I'd like to know if there is full shadow password support in any of the
      NSLU2 distributions as I'd like to use my windows username and password
      and actually use the NSLU2 for its intended purpose as a NAS device in
      addition to the other cool stuff you can do with it. Thanks.

      Hiram
    • Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2008
        I went right to the Debian install after reading about the various
        limitations of others - i wanted NTFS & HFS+ r/w, and being having a
        wider slection of little 'tools' with the APT-repositories really
        comes in handy. Of course, that means more #bash commands...
        You can install WEBMIN, but it'll slow your little sluggy to a snail -
        but it's good if you want to use it to configure some stuff, then
        disable it from your startups.
        Just my 2 cents - i'm very much a noob :)