How to safely shutdown the NSLU2?

  • macnet83
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hello

      I'd like to know the best way to safely shutdown the slug and
      consequently the hard disks attached.

      I unplugged the USB hard disk without turning off the NSLU2 and now
      everytime I turn it on it does an integrity verification to the disk.

      The slug won't bip before that is done and it takes a very long time.

      Meanwhile I can access the files on the disk as usual.

      What is strange is that I don't have Telnet access enabled and while
      the disk is being checked I can only access to the slug by Telnet.

      After the verification is done everything comes back to normal state
      and I can only access by SSH. Even though my Telnet session is not
      shut down.

      I use Unslung 6.8 and have a WD Elements 640GB hard disk attached on
      port1 and USB stick on port2 with the system.

      Another question:

      Under Windows on the WD disk properties I chose the option "optimize
      to performance". Is that ok?

      I'll access my disk several times a day, specially at night.

      What is the best configuration so that I can have it 24/7 available
      and at the same can insure the disk durability?

      thank you very much

      Jorge,
      from Portugal
    • docbillnet
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
        The safest thing to do is to do a proper shutdown of the NSLU2, then
        once it is turned off, turn off you disks.

        The following is relevant to Debian ARM, but some of it might be
        relevant to Unslug as well:

        I tend to use the NSLU2 power button. I believe it is controlled by
        the /etc/inittab CTRL+ALT+DEL settings. However, you can also login
        remotely and run /sbin/halt.

        I find once in awhile, my NSLU2 seems non-responsive to shutdowns. I
        believe this is because the OOM killer is triggered by the vgchange -y
        n command, halting the shutdown sequence. In that case, I manually
        disconnect the power.

        If I think the partitions are dirty, I then connect the drives to my
        Linux box and manually run e2fsck there because it is much faster than
        waiting for the NSLU2 next time I reboot. Most of the time, however,
        even when I had to pull the power, this step is not needed.

        Bill

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "macnet83" <macnet83@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > I'd like to know the best way to safely shutdown the slug and
        > consequently the hard disks attached.
        >
        > I unplugged the USB hard disk without turning off the NSLU2 and now
        > everytime I turn it on it does an integrity verification to the disk.
        >
        > The slug won't bip before that is done and it takes a very long time.
        >
        > Meanwhile I can access the files on the disk as usual.
        >
        > What is strange is that I don't have Telnet access enabled and while
        > the disk is being checked I can only access to the slug by Telnet.
        >
        > After the verification is done everything comes back to normal state
        > and I can only access by SSH. Even though my Telnet session is not
        > shut down.
        >
        > I use Unslung 6.8 and have a WD Elements 640GB hard disk attached on
        > port1 and USB stick on port2 with the system.
        >
        > Another question:
        >
        > Under Windows on the WD disk properties I chose the option "optimize
        > to performance". Is that ok?
        >
        > I'll access my disk several times a day, specially at night.
        >
        > What is the best configuration so that I can have it 24/7 available
        > and at the same can insure the disk durability?
        >
        > thank you very much
        >
        > Jorge,
        > from Portugal

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 16, 2008
          macnet83 wrote:

          > I'd like to know the best way to safely shutdown the slug and
          > consequently the hard disks attached.

          With Unslung, use the power button, or use the option on the web GUI to
          initiate an orderly shutdown.

          If you must do this from the command line, use the "DO_Shutdown" command.

          But whatever you do, on Unslung systems do not use the "halt" or
          "reboot" commands, nor just pull the power cable -- these will all leave
          your hard drive in a bad state, and may cause data loss.

          Mike (mwester)