Donations needed to continue Optware packages service

  • Brian Zhou
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hello all Optware users,

      If you use Optware packages from nslu2-linux.org, please help us keep
      them coming as we are running out of disk space.

      Over the years, the nslu2-linux.org group has been developing Optware
      packages for well over 20 NAS/router devices. As we enable more and
      more Optware packages and feeds, the disk and bandwidth usage for
      hosting, autobuilder, and testing server keeps climbing. Right now,
      >80% of nslu2-linux.org access are for Optware feeds. And the disk on
      autobuilder is approaching 90% capacity.

      We ask your help with your generous donation to nslu2-linux.org
      http://nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/Donate. We are targeting US$1000
      total in this donation drive. This is to cover the immediate purchase
      of 5 1.5 TB hard disks to be used in a RAID5 plus hotspare
      configuration, and also for other expenses such as domain fees,
      hosting costs. So far all nslu2-linux.org infrastructure has been paid
      for by previous donations from the nslu2 and nas-central community.
      Previous donation and spending can be seen at http://nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Info/DonationList .

      Thank you very much,

      Brian Zhou (Optware feed manager)
      On behalf of the nslu2-linux.org team
    • jvikezz
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2008
        All the best luck with your donation program! I just posted a small
        post on my blog:

        http://unslung.blogspot.com

        I really hope you'll succeed in getting the new raid setup

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2008
          Thank you to all those who have already donated, we're almost at half-
          way point now!

          Anyone who benefit from optware ipkg feed, please lend a hand. Thank
          you!

          -Brian Zhou
        • Joel Gebhart
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008

            The donation page is really clear if you are donating from a PP
            balance or credit card draw, but it doesn't say which one to use if
            you don't have a PP balance, but will be drawing from your checking
            account instead. Anyone know what to do, and how to ask the NSLU2
            wiki team to update that page with more instructions?

            Thanks.
          • Richard Klein
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008

              What does the Optware ipkg feed do?

              Thanks,
              Rich

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 19, 2008
                Joel Gebhart wrote:
                > The donation page is really clear if you are donating from a PP
                > balance or credit card draw, but it doesn't say which one to use if
                > you don't have a PP balance, but will be drawing from your checking
                > account instead. Anyone know what to do, and how to ask the NSLU2
                > wiki team to update that page with more instructions?

                Put in a donation using the PP balance link. If it works, then I can
                update the page. If it doesn't work, I can reject it and then you can
                use the other link.

                -- Rod Whitby
                -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead
              • ernstjanoud
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
                  L.S.

                  As one of the people who donated; what happened? We never saw any
                  feedback... not even some sort of reply that the donation was received.

                  Ernst

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

                  > Joel Gebhart wrote:
                  > > The donation page is really clear if you are donating from a PP
                  > > balance or credit card draw, but it doesn't say which one to use if
                  > > you don't have a PP balance, but will be drawing from your checking
                  > > account instead. Anyone know what to do, and how to ask the NSLU2
                  > > wiki team to update that page with more instructions?
                  >
                  > Put in a donation using the PP balance link. If it works, then I can
                  > update the page. If it doesn't work, I can reject it and then you can
                  > use the other link.
                  >
                  > -- Rod Whitby
                  > -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead

                • Rod Whitby
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
                    ernstjanoud wrote:
                    > As one of the people who donated; what happened? We never saw any
                    > feedback... not even some sort of reply that the donation was
                    > received.

                    We received enough donations to purchase the 5 1TB disks required to
                    keep the autobuilder running for the forseeable future.

                    The install was performed a couple of weeks ago, and everything is
                    working flawlessly. Many thanks to Tom King (ka6sox) for managing the
                    purchase and data management and the folks at OSUOSL for helping with
                    the hardware installation.

                    Thanks also to everyone who donated!

                    -- Rod Whitby
                    -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead