Re: setting up the nslu2 as a FTP server...?

  • Stanley P. Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2008
      Do you have the FTP ports you want to use set up to forward from the
      router to your slug?

      If the router doesn't know you want it to accept outside connection
      requests and then which machine on your LAN it should pass them to it
      will block them by default if you are using NAT.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "matotakeafoto"
      <matotakeafoto@...> wrote:

      > yeah i know, there is a 1000 threds with this question... but i've
      read them all and nothing
      > helped.
      >
      > so i've got a nslug2, with a Firmware Version:V2.3R63 conected to a
      Huawei EchoLife
      > HG520i modem router and to a 500gb HDD + 1,5TB lacie raid.
      >
      > just to say it : it all works perfect localy conected to a macbook
      pro OSX 10.5.4

      > of course the port 20 and 21 is open, i have a static IP, my ISP
      doesn't block the FTP ports
      > and i've even did set up a ftp server with my other mac to see if it
      works.... and guess what
      > it did. i could connect to it from outside via cyberduck .
      >
      > my problem is: I JUST CAN'T ACCESS THE NSLU2 FROM OUTSIDE AS A FTP!!!
      >
      > i've had a server guy from a company here, because i thought i'm did
      something wrong.
      > he did bring a new, different router, still it didn't work...
      >
      > please help me... i'm loosing it
      >
      > thanks
      > mato

    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2008
        In message <ghbst2+f6om@...>, matotakeafoto
        <matotakeafoto@...> writes
        >yeah i know, there is a 1000 threds with this question... but i've read
        >them all and nothing
        >helped.
        >
        >so i've got a nslug2, with a Firmware Version:V2.3R63 conected to a
        >Huawei EchoLife
        >HG520i modem router and to a 500gb HDD + 1,5TB lacie raid.
        >
        >just to say it : it all works perfect localy conected to a macbook pro
        >OSX 10.5.4
        >
        >of course the port 20 and 21 is open, i have a static IP, my ISP
        >doesn't block the FTP ports
        >and i've even did set up a ftp server with my other mac to see if it
        >works.... and guess what
        >it did. i could connect to it from outside via cyberduck .
        >
        >my problem is: I JUST CAN'T ACCESS THE NSLU2 FROM OUTSIDE AS A FTP!!!

        Most of the low cost routers will not work with ftp in standard mode,
        i.e. configured to use port 20 for the data port, you can find the
        reason for this by searching the web using google.
        Example:-
        <http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_ftp_xtra.html>

        You need to configure your ftp server in 'passive mode' and set a
        passive port range, I use proftpd and have mine set to 50000 to 50019.

        Most of the Optware ftpd servers can be configured with passive ports.
        I am not too sure if the ftp server that is included with the stock
        Linksys firmware can be configured in this way.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA