Re: [nslu2-general] Stream live sound

  • Thomas Reitmayr
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
      Hi Graham,
      I do something like this to listen to what's played by my stereo (to which the sound card + slug are connected). The server on the slug is a simple xinet.d service defined by /etc/xinet.d/audiostream like this (you may have to adjust user/group):
      service audiostream
      {
      type = UNLISTED
      socket_type = stream
      wait = no
      user = mpd
      group = audio
      umask = 002
      protocol = tcp
      log_on_failure += USERID HOST
      log_type = SYSLOG daemon
      port = 5555
      server = /usr/bin/arecord
      server_args = -q -f dat -D plughw:0 -
      disable = no
      }

      and on the PC I simply type:
      nc nslu2 5555 | aplay -f dat -

      Regards,
      -Thomas

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
        Thanks - but I am new to Linux...

        I have Googled these terms but -

        Is the streaming service just a default part of xinet.d?
        (xinet.d is not in my (Debian Slug) etc folder so I guess I must
        install it)
        - and how does a PC on the internet know the Slug address?

        (your PC runs Linux - I have used a browser on a Mac to receive
        streaming audio from remote webcam microphones linked to sound
        sources, but I think they plugged into windows PCs)

        I really want to monitor a microphone using a browser if I can.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Reitmayr <treitmayr@...>