Re: [nslu2-general] Invisible SLUG

  • Rob Lockhart
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM, markgauldin <mark@...> wrote:

      > I have an NSLU2 running Unslung that's been working fine for months.
      > Suddenly today, it's no longer accessible. I can't even ping it. I've
      > tried power cycling the unit and holding down the reset button through
      > the reset process, but no luck. The Status light shows solid green,
      > and the Ethernet light is lit. I disconnected everything from the USB
      > ports before starting the reset process. I also tried pinging the
      > default IP address of 192.168.1.77, but that doesn't work either.

      You'll have to catch the device when it is in RedBoot mode here:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

      If that works, you can just restore a backup image onto flash using the
      recovery techniques mentioned in the wiki (hopefully you did a backup). I
      would use this:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP
      as I can make a TFTP server quite easily, but follow here if you want to use
      the easier approaches:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash

      Note that this means you will lose everything on your flash (except
      configurations like MAC address, IP address if statically-assigned).

      Your other option would be to solder a 4-port serial header and use a
      powered TTL-to-RS232 adapter per this wiki:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort
      and see what the console shows when it boots, and then post a link to the
      log pasted at pastebin.ca to the list.

      If/when you get it working, it's a good idea to periodically back up
      everything:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2
      and store the backup on another machine.

      Hope that helps,
      -Rob

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
        markgauldin wrote:
        > I have an NSLU2 running Unslung that's been working fine for months.
        > Suddenly today, it's no longer accessible. I can't even ping it. I've
        > tried power cycling the unit and holding down the reset button through
        > the reset process, but no luck. The Status light shows solid green,
        > and the Ethernet light is lit. I disconnected everything from the USB
        > ports before starting the reset process. I also tried pinging the
        > default IP address of 192.168.1.77, but that doesn't work either.
        >
        > Any suggestions?

        This is a Frequently Asked Question -- see the mailing list archives for
        information on the correct way to reset the network settings for the
        device (hint: you can only do it if you reflash to the original Linksys
        firmware; no alternate firmwares have the ability to reset the network
        settings via the reset button).

        You might also find this helpful:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheBootDiskMechanism

        Mike (mwester)