Stream live sound

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
      I have played wav and MP3 files - no problem - using a USB sound dongle -
      http://www.sunspot.co.uk/Projects/SWEEX/slug/Sound/sound.html

      But the dongle also has a microphone socket. I would like to stream
      live sound to a PC (or another slug with a USB sound card)

      Has anyone done this?
    • Thomas Reitmayr
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
        Hi Graham,
        I do something like this to listen to what's played by my stereo (to which the sound card + slug are connected). The server on the slug is a simple xinet.d service defined by /etc/xinet.d/audiostream like this (you may have to adjust user/group):
        service audiostream
        {
        type = UNLISTED
        socket_type = stream
        wait = no
        user = mpd
        group = audio
        umask = 002
        protocol = tcp
        log_on_failure += USERID HOST
        log_type = SYSLOG daemon
        port = 5555
        server = /usr/bin/arecord
        server_args = -q -f dat -D plughw:0 -
        disable = no
        }

        and on the PC I simply type:
        nc nslu2 5555 | aplay -f dat -

        Regards,
        -Thomas

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
          Thanks - but I am new to Linux...

          I have Googled these terms but -

          Is the streaming service just a default part of xinet.d?
          (xinet.d is not in my (Debian Slug) etc folder so I guess I must
          install it)
          - and how does a PC on the internet know the Slug address?

          (your PC runs Linux - I have used a browser on a Mac to receive
          streaming audio from remote webcam microphones linked to sound
          sources, but I think they plugged into windows PCs)

          I really want to monitor a microphone using a browser if I can.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Reitmayr <treitmayr@...>