Invisible SLUG

  • markgauldin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      I have an NSLU2 running Unslung that's been working fine for months.
      Suddenly today, it's no longer accessible. I can't even ping it. I've
      tried power cycling the unit and holding down the reset button through
      the reset process, but no luck. The Status light shows solid green,
      and the Ethernet light is lit. I disconnected everything from the USB
      ports before starting the reset process. I also tried pinging the
      default IP address of 192.168.1.77, but that doesn't work either.

      Any suggestions?
    • Rob Lockhart
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
        On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:13 PM, markgauldin <mark@...> wrote:

        > I have an NSLU2 running Unslung that's been working fine for months.
        > Suddenly today, it's no longer accessible. I can't even ping it. I've
        > tried power cycling the unit and holding down the reset button through
        > the reset process, but no luck. The Status light shows solid green,
        > and the Ethernet light is lit. I disconnected everything from the USB
        > ports before starting the reset process. I also tried pinging the
        > default IP address of 192.168.1.77, but that doesn't work either.

        You'll have to catch the device when it is in RedBoot mode here:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

        If that works, you can just restore a backup image onto flash using the
        recovery techniques mentioned in the wiki (hopefully you did a backup). I
        would use this:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP
        as I can make a TFTP server quite easily, but follow here if you want to use
        the easier approaches:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash

        Note that this means you will lose everything on your flash (except
        configurations like MAC address, IP address if statically-assigned).

        Your other option would be to solder a 4-port serial header and use a
        powered TTL-to-RS232 adapter per this wiki:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort
        and see what the console shows when it boots, and then post a link to the
        log pasted at pastebin.ca to the list.

        If/when you get it working, it's a good idea to periodically back up
        everything:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2
        and store the backup on another machine.

        Hope that helps,
        -Rob

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
          markgauldin wrote:
          > I have an NSLU2 running Unslung that's been working fine for months.
          > Suddenly today, it's no longer accessible. I can't even ping it. I've
          > tried power cycling the unit and holding down the reset button through
          > the reset process, but no luck. The Status light shows solid green,
          > and the Ethernet light is lit. I disconnected everything from the USB
          > ports before starting the reset process. I also tried pinging the
          > default IP address of 192.168.1.77, but that doesn't work either.
          >
          > Any suggestions?

          This is a Frequently Asked Question -- see the mailing list archives for
          information on the correct way to reset the network settings for the
          device (hint: you can only do it if you reflash to the original Linksys
          firmware; no alternate firmwares have the ability to reset the network
          settings via the reset button).

          You might also find this helpful:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheBootDiskMechanism

          Mike (mwester)