Re: write to DISC1

  • LaneD130
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2008
      I am no expert, but it's been over 6 weeks since the post was posted,
      so I thought I would reply.

      Using the commands chmod and chown, you can set all file permissions.

      chown sets the owner and group for a file. e.g:
      chown user file
      or chown user:group file
      This is not used very much since it is not that common to want to
      change the owner or group.

      chmod sets the file's permissions for it's owner, group, and everyone
      else. e.g:
      chmod 123 file
      The 123 should be replaced by the required code. In the example 1 is
      for the owner, 2 for the group, and 3 for EE. The numer you assign to
      each is worked out as follows:
      4 for read access,
      2 for write,
      and 1 for execute.
      If you want to assign read and write, these two should be added
      together (6). If you want read and execute, then it would be 4+1 = 5.
      So from this we work out that if we want our file, temp.txt, to be
      read and written by us, read by the rest of the group, but not seen by
      the rest of the world, then we use:
      chmod 640 temp.txt
      However, if it is a script that everyone needs to run, but you don't
      want anyone else reading it, then the command would be:
      chmod 711 temp.txt
      If we want everyone to be able to do everything:
      chmod 777 temp.txt

      Both commands take the -R option (chmod -R 777 temp.txt and chown -R
      me:grp temp.txt) which means that they will process all
      sub-directories as well.

      temp.txt can be replaced by wildcards like * or ? or *.txt

      In order to change your directory/drive to give:
      you read and write access,
      the group "everyone" ownership,
      and EE read access,
      you should telnet or ssh into your slug, cd to the right directory
      (from the sounds of it this will be /share/hdd/data/ or something
      close) and then use:
      chown -R YourUserName:everyone *
      chmod -R 644 *

      If you want to limit the reading to just you, you need:
      chown -R YourUserName:administrators *
      chmod -R 600 *

      Note: Issuing 777 gives everyone full control, which is not
      necessarily recommended

      Let me know if this fails to make everything clear.

      Cheers,

      Dave