Alternative to NSLU2 to run a live webserver from home

  • Nick B
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      Hi Guys,
      Hope you don't mind if I pick your brains. A little while ago I moved all my
      hosting from a shared server to Amazon's EC2. Although great for my
      purposes, it is also overkill and a little expensive at the moment.

      I'm considering setting up a box of some description at home. I'm
      considering another NAS which would be low power, but it would need to be
      pretty much similar to a full LAMP server and I would need to fully control
      it remotely (rebooting is my main concern with the NSLU2).

      Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should consider? I don't want to
      confuse my current NSLU2 setup and so am looking to buy something fresh.

      Thanks

    • stuart smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2008
        Nick, although it takes a little work to put together I built up a system using a VIA GA-PCV2 motherboard and a 2 1/2 laptop disk using a PicoPSU to power it. It gives me the full flexibility of a PC yet only draws abot 30W. Its usin g a VIA C3 processor running at 1GHz and will take up to 1GB of RAM in a single DIMM slot. Currently its running XP with the Abyss webserver, but if you are more comfortable with Linux, you have plenty of choices. I Have had Fedora 9 running on the same platform. I'm using the same motherboard to run a Smoothwall as well.

        You can have a look at it here.

        http://www.sdsnet.dyndns.org/webserver.shtml

        As you can see its not very big. The case is only 300mm wide x 200mm deep x 80mm high.

        The motherboard is a mini ITX motherboard.

        Stuart

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2008
          Look at asus ee box
          http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/eeebox/en/specifications.html