Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 V23R76 source release...

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
      Mike (mwester) wrote:
      > Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
      > though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
      > firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
      > the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
      > consider assembling an updated Unslung release.

      A quick diff of the kernel vs R63 shows very few changes:

      1) A small bug fix in drivers/usb/storage/maxtor_onetouch.c
      2) Increasing the initrd size from 10M to 11M
      3) Some change in include/config/nls/iso8859/15.h and
      include/config/nls/utf8.h

      It looks like the GPL sources for R76 have a romfs.tgz file in them
      which contains the complete root filesystem full of all the proprietary
      binaries.

      The included RedBoot sources still contain the hardware reset upgrade
      mode (once and for all rejecting the notion that Linksys might have
      removed this from recent devices) and the upslug2 upgrade protocol.

      So it look like an Unslung upgrade is technically possible. What that
      would achieve is debatable, since the kernel changes are so few.

      Whether anyone has the interest or incentive to undertake such as task
      is a whole different question ...

      -- Rod