Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 V23R76 source release...

  • jl.050877@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
      On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 04:43:47AM -0000, etherkidd wrote:
      > Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
      > is debian the route now?

      Debian is only one of the choices.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/FirmwareMatrix
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
        etherkidd wrote:
        > Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
        > is debian the route now?

        There are other alternatives, I personally think that for many users
        SlugOS is a better choice than either Unslung or Debian, but all
        firmwares have a specific audience and remain useful.

        Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
        though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
        firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
        the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
        consider assembling an updated Unslung release.

        (I'd have to consult with the rest of the core team here regarding
        legality, but I do not think we can use any of the binaries floating
        around the internet; based on user postings here and elsewhere those are
        probably bootleg copies and distribution would be prohibited.)

        Mike (mwester)
      • etherkidd
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > etherkidd wrote:
          > > Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
          > > is debian the route now?
          >
          > There are other alternatives, I personally think that for many users
          > SlugOS is a better choice than either Unslung or Debian, but all
          > firmwares have a specific audience and remain useful.
          >
          > Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
          > though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
          > firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
          > the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
          > consider assembling an updated Unslung release.
          >
          > (I'd have to consult with the rest of the core team here regarding
          > legality, but I do not think we can use any of the binaries floating
          > around the internet; based on user postings here and elsewhere those are
          > probably bootleg copies and distribution would be prohibited.)
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

          Thank you for the clarification. I will email linksys to see if that
          helps because they did send out the unreleased beta upon request. I
          actually assume openwrt was more suitable since it fits with the
          routers with usb ports and the debian for the larger capable devices
          like the linkstations.
        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
            Mike (mwester) wrote:
            > Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
            > though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
            > firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
            > the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
            > consider assembling an updated Unslung release.

            A quick diff of the kernel vs R63 shows very few changes:

            1) A small bug fix in drivers/usb/storage/maxtor_onetouch.c
            2) Increasing the initrd size from 10M to 11M
            3) Some change in include/config/nls/iso8859/15.h and
            include/config/nls/utf8.h

            It looks like the GPL sources for R76 have a romfs.tgz file in them
            which contains the complete root filesystem full of all the proprietary
            binaries.

            The included RedBoot sources still contain the hardware reset upgrade
            mode (once and for all rejecting the notion that Linksys might have
            removed this from recent devices) and the upslug2 upgrade protocol.

            So it look like an Unslung upgrade is technically possible. What that
            would achieve is debatable, since the kernel changes are so few.

            Whether anyone has the interest or incentive to undertake such as task
            is a whole different question ...

            -- Rod