NSLU2 V23R76 source release...

  • etherkidd
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
      is debian the route now?
    • jl.050877@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
        On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 04:43:47AM -0000, etherkidd wrote:
        > Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
        > is debian the route now?

        Debian is only one of the choices.

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/FirmwareMatrix
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
          etherkidd wrote:
          > Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
          > is debian the route now?

          There are other alternatives, I personally think that for many users
          SlugOS is a better choice than either Unslung or Debian, but all
          firmwares have a specific audience and remain useful.

          Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
          though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
          firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
          the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
          consider assembling an updated Unslung release.

          (I'd have to consult with the rest of the core team here regarding
          legality, but I do not think we can use any of the binaries floating
          around the internet; based on user postings here and elsewhere those are
          probably bootleg copies and distribution would be prohibited.)

          Mike (mwester)
        • etherkidd
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
            wrote:

            > etherkidd wrote:
            > > Does anyone know what if any plans are on a new release of unslung or
            > > is debian the route now?
            >
            > There are other alternatives, I personally think that for many users
            > SlugOS is a better choice than either Unslung or Debian, but all
            > firmwares have a specific audience and remain useful.
            >
            > Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
            > though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
            > firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
            > the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
            > consider assembling an updated Unslung release.
            >
            > (I'd have to consult with the rest of the core team here regarding
            > legality, but I do not think we can use any of the binaries floating
            > around the internet; based on user postings here and elsewhere those are
            > probably bootleg copies and distribution would be prohibited.)
            >
            > Mike (mwester)

            Thank you for the clarification. I will email linksys to see if that
            helps because they did send out the unreleased beta upon request. I
            actually assume openwrt was more suitable since it fits with the
            routers with usb ports and the debian for the larger capable devices
            like the linkstations.
          • Rod Whitby
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
              Mike (mwester) wrote:
              > Regarding the new release of Unslung, it's a moot point because even
              > though Linksys released the GPL sources a few days ago for the R76
              > firmware, they have not yet released the binary image for R76. Without
              > the binary image to provide the proprietary Linksys code, we can't even
              > consider assembling an updated Unslung release.

              A quick diff of the kernel vs R63 shows very few changes:

              1) A small bug fix in drivers/usb/storage/maxtor_onetouch.c
              2) Increasing the initrd size from 10M to 11M
              3) Some change in include/config/nls/iso8859/15.h and
              include/config/nls/utf8.h

              It looks like the GPL sources for R76 have a romfs.tgz file in them
              which contains the complete root filesystem full of all the proprietary
              binaries.

              The included RedBoot sources still contain the hardware reset upgrade
              mode (once and for all rejecting the notion that Linksys might have
              removed this from recent devices) and the upslug2 upgrade protocol.

              So it look like an Unslung upgrade is technically possible. What that
              would achieve is debatable, since the kernel changes are so few.

              Whether anyone has the interest or incentive to undertake such as task
              is a whole different question ...

              -- Rod