Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Getting upslug to upgrade firmware

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      janne5011 wrote:
      > Hi, if you did a reset I think your slug now is on default IP,
      > default is 192.168.1.77.
      > So, the puter where you have the upslug tool its best if it have
      > somthing on 192.168.1.* for example 192.168.1.50-.
      > Hope this helps.
      > /j

      No, the default IP only applies when the firmware is running. When in
      redboot (the bootloader), the IP address is 192.168.0.1 -- but when in
      upgrade mode, no IP address is necessary as the protocol uses special
      packets on the network.

      So, if the NSLU2 is in upgrade mode, then it cannot be found by any
      IP-based utility -- the only thing that can detect it on the network is
      "upslug2" and similar programs.

      This non-IP protocol requires that the NSLU2 be on the same physical
      network as the host computer. You cannot use wireless of any type. If
      you have a router between the NSLU2 and the host, it won't see it
      (switches are ok, but not routers). VLANs won't work either. If your
      host computer is a virtual system, such as provided by software like
      VMware, it's unlikely that you'll be able to see the NSLU2 either (you
      can try bridging mode, but I'd suggest booting a live CD such as Knoppix
      instead).

      If your host computer has multiple network interfaces, make sure that
      you have used the correct one -- the default is "eth0", and if the NSLU2
      isn't on that cable, then it won't be found.

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Santosh Sam Koshy"
      > <santosh_koshy@...> wrote:
      >> Dear Rob,
      >>
      >> Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into
      >> button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the
      > moment I
      >> do it.
      >>
      >> When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
      >> no slugs are currently available on the network.
      >>
      >> I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
      >> maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
      >> How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.
      >>
      >> Kindly respond
      >>
      >> SAM

      Mike (mwester)