Re: Getting upslug to upgrade firmware

  • janne5011
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi, if you did a reset I think your slug now is on default IP,
      default is 192.168.1.77.
      So, the puter where you have the upslug tool its best if it have
      somthing on 192.168.1.* for example 192.168.1.50-.
      Hope this helps.
      /j

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Santosh Sam Koshy"
      <santosh_koshy@...> wrote:

      > Dear Rob,
      >
      > Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into
      > button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the
      moment I
      > do it.
      >
      > When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
      > no slugs are currently available on the network.
      >
      > I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
      > maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
      > How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.
      >
      > Kindly respond
      >
      > SAM
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Santosh Sam Koshy wrote:
      > > > Dear All,
      > > >
      > > > On web upgrade of my slug with a firmware that I downloaded
      from the
      > > > linksys site, the system crashed and thereafter, I have been
      unable to
      > > > detect it from the linksys software as well as from the web
      access.

      > > Yes, the Linksys web UI upgrade option is flakey - that's why we
      only
      > > recommend using the hardware reset button upgrade mode and
      upslug2.

      > > > I downloaded a telnet utility to probe into redboot just after
      it
      > > > boots. This utlity gives me a redboot prompt and allows me to
      throw
      > > > the slug into an upgrade mode.
      > >
      > > OK, you could possibly have saved the trouble by using the
      hardware
      > > reset button method.
      > >
      > > > To upgrade thereafter, I am using the upslug2 tool from my host
      PC.
      > > > The problem that I face is that the upslug program returns a bad
      > > > signature error. This has caused me incapable of upgrading the
      > > > firmware. The firmware ends with a .bin extension. and upslug
      uses a
      > > > .img extension.
      > >
      > > Upslug2 does not require any specific extension. You give it an
      8MB
      > > nslu2 firmware binary image file.
      > >
      > > -- Rod

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        janne5011 wrote:
        > Hi, if you did a reset I think your slug now is on default IP,
        > default is 192.168.1.77.
        > So, the puter where you have the upslug tool its best if it have
        > somthing on 192.168.1.* for example 192.168.1.50-.
        > Hope this helps.
        > /j

        No, the default IP only applies when the firmware is running. When in
        redboot (the bootloader), the IP address is 192.168.0.1 -- but when in
        upgrade mode, no IP address is necessary as the protocol uses special
        packets on the network.

        So, if the NSLU2 is in upgrade mode, then it cannot be found by any
        IP-based utility -- the only thing that can detect it on the network is
        "upslug2" and similar programs.

        This non-IP protocol requires that the NSLU2 be on the same physical
        network as the host computer. You cannot use wireless of any type. If
        you have a router between the NSLU2 and the host, it won't see it
        (switches are ok, but not routers). VLANs won't work either. If your
        host computer is a virtual system, such as provided by software like
        VMware, it's unlikely that you'll be able to see the NSLU2 either (you
        can try bridging mode, but I'd suggest booting a live CD such as Knoppix
        instead).

        If your host computer has multiple network interfaces, make sure that
        you have used the correct one -- the default is "eth0", and if the NSLU2
        isn't on that cable, then it won't be found.

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Santosh Sam Koshy"
        > <santosh_koshy@...> wrote:
        >> Dear Rob,
        >>
        >> Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into
        >> button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the
        > moment I
        >> do it.
        >>
        >> When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
        >> no slugs are currently available on the network.
        >>
        >> I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
        >> maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
        >> How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.
        >>
        >> Kindly respond
        >>
        >> SAM

        Mike (mwester)