Re: Getting upslug to upgrade firmware

  • Santosh Sam Koshy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Dear Rob,

      Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into a
      button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the moment I
      do it.

      When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
      no slugs are currently available on the network.

      I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
      maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
      How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.

      Kindly respond

      SAM

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

      > Santosh Sam Koshy wrote:
      > > Dear All,
      > >
      > > On web upgrade of my slug with a firmware that I downloaded from the
      > > linksys site, the system crashed and thereafter, I have been unable to
      > > detect it from the linksys software as well as from the web access.
      >
      > Yes, the Linksys web UI upgrade option is flakey - that's why we only
      > recommend using the hardware reset button upgrade mode and upslug2.
      >
      > > I downloaded a telnet utility to probe into redboot just after it
      > > boots. This utlity gives me a redboot prompt and allows me to throw
      > > the slug into an upgrade mode.
      >
      > OK, you could possibly have saved the trouble by using the hardware
      > reset button method.
      >
      > > To upgrade thereafter, I am using the upslug2 tool from my host PC.
      > > The problem that I face is that the upslug program returns a bad
      > > signature error. This has caused me incapable of upgrading the
      > > firmware. The firmware ends with a .bin extension. and upslug uses a
      > > .img extension.
      >
      > Upslug2 does not require any specific extension. You give it an 8MB
      > nslu2 firmware binary image file.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • janne5011
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi, if you did a reset I think your slug now is on default IP,
        default is 192.168.1.77.
        So, the puter where you have the upslug tool its best if it have
        somthing on 192.168.1.* for example 192.168.1.50-.
        Hope this helps.
        /j

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Santosh Sam Koshy"
        <santosh_koshy@...> wrote:

        > Dear Rob,
        >
        > Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into
        > button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the
        moment I
        > do it.
        >
        > When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
        > no slugs are currently available on the network.
        >
        > I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
        > maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
        > How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.
        >
        > Kindly respond
        >
        > SAM
        >

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Santosh Sam Koshy wrote:
        > > > Dear All,
        > > >
        > > > On web upgrade of my slug with a firmware that I downloaded
        from the
        > > > linksys site, the system crashed and thereafter, I have been
        unable to
        > > > detect it from the linksys software as well as from the web
        access.

        > > Yes, the Linksys web UI upgrade option is flakey - that's why we
        only
        > > recommend using the hardware reset button upgrade mode and
        upslug2.

        > > > I downloaded a telnet utility to probe into redboot just after
        it
        > > > boots. This utlity gives me a redboot prompt and allows me to
        throw
        > > > the slug into an upgrade mode.
        > >
        > > OK, you could possibly have saved the trouble by using the
        hardware
        > > reset button method.
        > >
        > > > To upgrade thereafter, I am using the upslug2 tool from my host
        PC.
        > > > The problem that I face is that the upslug program returns a bad
        > > > signature error. This has caused me incapable of upgrading the
        > > > firmware. The firmware ends with a .bin extension. and upslug
        uses a
        > > > .img extension.
        > >
        > > Upslug2 does not require any specific extension. You give it an
        8MB
        > > nslu2 firmware binary image file.
        > >
        > > -- Rod

      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          janne5011 wrote:
          > Hi, if you did a reset I think your slug now is on default IP,
          > default is 192.168.1.77.
          > So, the puter where you have the upslug tool its best if it have
          > somthing on 192.168.1.* for example 192.168.1.50-.
          > Hope this helps.
          > /j

          No, the default IP only applies when the firmware is running. When in
          redboot (the bootloader), the IP address is 192.168.0.1 -- but when in
          upgrade mode, no IP address is necessary as the protocol uses special
          packets on the network.

          So, if the NSLU2 is in upgrade mode, then it cannot be found by any
          IP-based utility -- the only thing that can detect it on the network is
          "upslug2" and similar programs.

          This non-IP protocol requires that the NSLU2 be on the same physical
          network as the host computer. You cannot use wireless of any type. If
          you have a router between the NSLU2 and the host, it won't see it
          (switches are ok, but not routers). VLANs won't work either. If your
          host computer is a virtual system, such as provided by software like
          VMware, it's unlikely that you'll be able to see the NSLU2 either (you
          can try bridging mode, but I'd suggest booting a live CD such as Knoppix
          instead).

          If your host computer has multiple network interfaces, make sure that
          you have used the correct one -- the default is "eth0", and if the NSLU2
          isn't on that cable, then it won't be found.

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Santosh Sam Koshy"
          > <santosh_koshy@...> wrote:
          >> Dear Rob,
          >>
          >> Thanks for the reply. As you have suggested, I pushed the slug into
          >> button reset. The power led toggles between red and green the
          > moment I
          >> do it.
          >>
          >> When I simply run upslug2 to search the slug, it replies saying that
          >> no slugs are currently available on the network.
          >>
          >> I have a few queries related to this. Does the host PC have to be
          >> maintained in a specific IP? If so, what.
          >> How can I upgrade the slug, now that it seems to be totally dead.
          >>
          >> Kindly respond
          >>
          >> SAM

          Mike (mwester)