Re: Flash drive vs hard drive for the system.

  • ralph.finch
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "arthurnslu2" <arthur92710@...>
      wrote:

      > I read some where that if you run the harddrive to long it will die,
      > so I decided to switch the system to a flash card, 512mb. But, I read
      > that the flash will also die if it is used to much. So what is better?
      > BTW I use unslung os, newest version.

      Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) for hard drives is a traditional and
      probably useless measure of drive reliability
      (http://tinyurl.com/53x6of). From my experience HDs may be expected to
      fail after 3-7 years of being on mostly 24x7, that is, not being
      turned on/off a few times a day. You might buy an enterprise-quality
      HD (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/3nlu26) for more reliability.

      Flash drives do have a limited write life. A wikipedia article
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory) says flash USB drives
      "have built-in controllers to perform wear-levelling" which will help.
      Googling turns up the usual ambiguous contradictions, 100K write
      cycles are often cited without attribution. I'll speculate that a USB
      flash drive that works with Vista ReadyBoost to supplement the PC's
      RAM might be designed to support lots of write/erase cycles.

      OK, I haven't come up with any hard numbers. Maybe we can simply say
      HDs might last longer than flash memory. How are you expecting to use
      your Slug? If you need lots of storage (more than say 8-16 GB) then a
      HD is probably your only option and makes the decision easy. I am
      going to use my Slug mainly as a proxy server and maybe to serve a few
      files (photos, etc) for a limited audience (family). So I'm going to
      use a 4GB flash drive and see how it works. Other advice posted about
      making backups is always good.