Re: /tmp directory on SlugOs/BE

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
      Hi Mike,

      Thank you very much for your help.

      This is the only mounting point for tmpfs that I found in /etc/fstab:

      tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0

      Should I replace this line by the line you showed in your post?

      My /etc/fstab:

      /dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
      /dev/sda2 /home ext3 noatime 1 1
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0
      usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

      Thanks again,

      Daniel.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
      wrote:

      > Daniel Berenguer wrote:
      > > On SlugOs/BE, I've always thought that /tmp (pointing to
      > > /var/volatile/tmp) works on RAM space but yesterday I realized that
      > > the files stored in /tmp persisted across reboots.
      > >
      > > Which is then the directory in the fs really pointing to RAM space? I
      > > just want to place my temporary files in RAM instead of Flash.
      >
      > This should be handled by the "volatiles" mechanism, with a rules file
      > down in /etc/defaults. In a nutshell there is a standard set of rules
      > used by the in-flash configuration, and other sets that are installed
      > when you turnup to disk, or nfs. For example, doing a turnup to disk
      > will result in the behavior you would expect from a disk-equipped
      > desktop linux distro -- /var is persistent across boots.
      >
      > However, /tmp should not persist -- it is a sym link to
      > /var/volatile/tmp, which should be in memory. I sounds like your /tmp
      > symbolic link is in place, but for some reason /var/volatile is not
      > being mounted. Can you check your /etc/fstab -- it should have a line:
      >
      > tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0
      >
      > (BTW, you don't say what version, so I'm assuming you are on 4.8 -- if
      > not, forget everything I just wrote.)
      >
      > Mike (mwester)

    • Daniel Berenguer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
        OK, I replaced the mounting point of tmpfs by the line you suggested:

        tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0

        and now /tmp is really working in memory.

        Thank you very much Mike.

        Daniel.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Berenguer"