Re: [nslu2-general] /tmp directory on SlugOs/BE

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
      Daniel Berenguer wrote:
      > On SlugOs/BE, I've always thought that /tmp (pointing to
      > /var/volatile/tmp) works on RAM space but yesterday I realized that
      > the files stored in /tmp persisted across reboots.
      >
      > Which is then the directory in the fs really pointing to RAM space? I
      > just want to place my temporary files in RAM instead of Flash.

      This should be handled by the "volatiles" mechanism, with a rules file
      down in /etc/defaults. In a nutshell there is a standard set of rules
      used by the in-flash configuration, and other sets that are installed
      when you turnup to disk, or nfs. For example, doing a turnup to disk
      will result in the behavior you would expect from a disk-equipped
      desktop linux distro -- /var is persistent across boots.

      However, /tmp should not persist -- it is a sym link to
      /var/volatile/tmp, which should be in memory. I sounds like your /tmp
      symbolic link is in place, but for some reason /var/volatile is not
      being mounted. Can you check your /etc/fstab -- it should have a line:

      tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0

      (BTW, you don't say what version, so I'm assuming you are on 4.8 -- if
      not, forget everything I just wrote.)

      Mike (mwester)
    • Daniel Berenguer
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
        Hi Mike,

        Thank you very much for your help.

        This is the only mounting point for tmpfs that I found in /etc/fstab:

        tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0

        Should I replace this line by the line you showed in your post?

        My /etc/fstab:

        /dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
        /dev/sda2 /home ext3 noatime 1 1
        proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
        tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0
        usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

        Thanks again,

        Daniel.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
        wrote:

        > Daniel Berenguer wrote:
        > > On SlugOs/BE, I've always thought that /tmp (pointing to
        > > /var/volatile/tmp) works on RAM space but yesterday I realized that
        > > the files stored in /tmp persisted across reboots.
        > >
        > > Which is then the directory in the fs really pointing to RAM space? I
        > > just want to place my temporary files in RAM instead of Flash.
        >
        > This should be handled by the "volatiles" mechanism, with a rules file
        > down in /etc/defaults. In a nutshell there is a standard set of rules
        > used by the in-flash configuration, and other sets that are installed
        > when you turnup to disk, or nfs. For example, doing a turnup to disk
        > will result in the behavior you would expect from a disk-equipped
        > desktop linux distro -- /var is persistent across boots.
        >
        > However, /tmp should not persist -- it is a sym link to
        > /var/volatile/tmp, which should be in memory. I sounds like your /tmp
        > symbolic link is in place, but for some reason /var/volatile is not
        > being mounted. Can you check your /etc/fstab -- it should have a line:
        >
        > tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0
        >
        > (BTW, you don't say what version, so I'm assuming you are on 4.8 -- if
        > not, forget everything I just wrote.)
        >
        > Mike (mwester)

      • Daniel Berenguer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
          OK, I replaced the mounting point of tmpfs by the line you suggested:

          tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0

          and now /tmp is really working in memory.

          Thank you very much Mike.

          Daniel.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Berenguer"