/tmp directory on SlugOs/BE

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
      On SlugOs/BE, I've always thought that /tmp (pointing to
      /var/volatile/tmp) works on RAM space but yesterday I realized that
      the files stored in /tmp persisted across reboots.

      Which is then the directory in the fs really pointing to RAM space? I
      just want to place my temporary files in RAM instead of Flash.

      Thank you very much,

      Daniel.
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008
        Daniel Berenguer wrote:
        > On SlugOs/BE, I've always thought that /tmp (pointing to
        > /var/volatile/tmp) works on RAM space but yesterday I realized that
        > the files stored in /tmp persisted across reboots.
        >
        > Which is then the directory in the fs really pointing to RAM space? I
        > just want to place my temporary files in RAM instead of Flash.

        This should be handled by the "volatiles" mechanism, with a rules file
        down in /etc/defaults. In a nutshell there is a standard set of rules
        used by the in-flash configuration, and other sets that are installed
        when you turnup to disk, or nfs. For example, doing a turnup to disk
        will result in the behavior you would expect from a disk-equipped
        desktop linux distro -- /var is persistent across boots.

        However, /tmp should not persist -- it is a sym link to
        /var/volatile/tmp, which should be in memory. I sounds like your /tmp
        symbolic link is in place, but for some reason /var/volatile is not
        being mounted. Can you check your /etc/fstab -- it should have a line:

        tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0

        (BTW, you don't say what version, so I'm assuming you are on 4.8 -- if
        not, forget everything I just wrote.)

        Mike (mwester)
      • Daniel Berenguer
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
          Hi Mike,

          Thank you very much for your help.

          This is the only mounting point for tmpfs that I found in /etc/fstab:

          tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0

          Should I replace this line by the line you showed in your post?

          My /etc/fstab:

          /dev/sda1 / ext3 noatime 1 1
          /dev/sda2 /home ext3 noatime 1 1
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs defaults 0 0
          usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

          Thanks again,

          Daniel.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > Daniel Berenguer wrote:
          > > On SlugOs/BE, I've always thought that /tmp (pointing to
          > > /var/volatile/tmp) works on RAM space but yesterday I realized that
          > > the files stored in /tmp persisted across reboots.
          > >
          > > Which is then the directory in the fs really pointing to RAM space? I
          > > just want to place my temporary files in RAM instead of Flash.
          >
          > This should be handled by the "volatiles" mechanism, with a rules file
          > down in /etc/defaults. In a nutshell there is a standard set of rules
          > used by the in-flash configuration, and other sets that are installed
          > when you turnup to disk, or nfs. For example, doing a turnup to disk
          > will result in the behavior you would expect from a disk-equipped
          > desktop linux distro -- /var is persistent across boots.
          >
          > However, /tmp should not persist -- it is a sym link to
          > /var/volatile/tmp, which should be in memory. I sounds like your /tmp
          > symbolic link is in place, but for some reason /var/volatile is not
          > being mounted. Can you check your /etc/fstab -- it should have a line:
          >
          > tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0
          >
          > (BTW, you don't say what version, so I'm assuming you are on 4.8 -- if
          > not, forget everything I just wrote.)
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

        • Daniel Berenguer
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
            OK, I replaced the mounting point of tmpfs by the line you suggested:

            tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs mode=0755 0 0

            and now /tmp is really working in memory.

            Thank you very much Mike.

            Daniel.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Berenguer"