What is UPnP for?

  • Thomas Andersson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2005
      Hi list,

      I've read that some of you got increased network performance/stability
      when turning off UPnP. What is UPnP good for? I know it's used for
      automatically open port on routers and so on but I use my NSLU2 on my
      internal LAN only. Is there are good reason to have UPnP turned on?

      Cheers
      Thomas - Sweden
    • Todd O. Klindt
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2005
        I'll take a stab at this. Feel free to correct anything I get
        wrong. :D

        uPNP is a advertisement method for network services. As you
        mentioned, one of its uses is to open ports on routers for
        services. In the case of the NSLU2 I _think_ uPNP is used to
        advertise the File Serving service to machines on the network. So
        without you knowing the NSLU2 existed, it would potentially show up
        in "My Network Places." You wouldn't have to do anything to get it
        to show up there. I think one of the music serving services in
        uNSLUng uses it to advertise itself too.

        I know I have had uPNP disabled for the entire time I've been using
        my NSLU2 and it works fine. Certainly works better than it did with
        uPNP on, which would make it drop off the network when you tried to
        access it. My guess is that there is another uPNP client on my
        network and it and the NSLU2 are not getting along.

        hope that helps,
        tk
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Andersson <me@t...>