Re: [nslu2-general] License agreement in custom web page

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      Daniel Berenguer wrote:
      > After more than one year, my opn-max project (www.opnode.org), based
      > on SlugOS/BE, has got relative success. In order to avoid dealing with
      > proprietary licenses, I invited anyone wanting to install opn-max to
      > install the standard OpenSlug firmware first from
      > http://www.slug-firmware.net.

      Good plan.

      > Now that I'm redoing my web page I'm thinking about preparing a
      > licensed download page, similar to http://www.slug-firmware.net, and
      > upload an image with all the necessary for running the Slug as an
      > opn-max controller. No more need to install applications, the whole
      > process reduced to one or two steps.

      Good plan.

      > My question is: do you know if I could inspire my license agreement
      > page on the one found in http://www.slug-firmware.net? The legal
      > things often scare me and I don't feel comfortable writing such kind
      > of texts. Is the Slug page the only one containing this kind of
      > advertisements? or does anyone give the possibility of downloading
      > firmware from his web page too?

      We are not laywers, so we cannot give you legal advise on whether or not
      using that license text is suitable for your web page. All we can say
      is that that text has been there for 4 years now, and we haven't been
      sued by Intel yet :-)

      We do discourage (for your own safety) putting up an image *without*
      some way of ensuring that the people downloading the image acknowledge
      and agree to the Intel license.

      If you have some mechanism to ensure that the people downloading your
      image acknowledge and agree to the Intel license, then the nslu2-linux
      project has no problem with you doing so (note that we do not speak on
      behalf of Intel or any other copyright holder). Again, we are not
      laywers, so a decision to do so has to be your own, and we take no
      responsibility for anything that may result from you doing so.

      > How is the development of the open source drivers going?

      It has been included in 2.6.27 mainline kernel and works well. Note
      that it still requires proprietary Intel microcode to run.

      -- Rod
    • Daniel Berenguer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        Thanks Rod.