License agreement in custom web page

  • Daniel Berenguer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi.

      After more than one year, my opn-max project (www.opnode.org), based
      on SlugOS/BE, has got relative success. In order to avoid dealing with
      proprietary licenses, I invited anyone wanting to install opn-max to
      install the standard OpenSlug firmware first from
      http://www.slug-firmware.net. Then, the user had to copy the root
      filesystem into the USB drive and run an installation script in
      several steps. This has worked fine except for some connection
      problems. The issue is that some people don't dare to follow this
      process due to some kind of fear of Linux. People that knows nothing
      about Linux often abandons the idea of having to open ssh sessions,
      running scripts or simply browsing the file system.

      Now that I'm redoing my web page I'm thinking about preparing a
      licensed download page, similar to http://www.slug-firmware.net, and
      upload an image with all the necessary for running the Slug as an
      opn-max controller. No more need to install applications, the whole
      process reduced to one or two steps.

      My question is: do you know if I could inspire my license agreement
      page on the one found in http://www.slug-firmware.net? The legal
      things often scare me and I don't feel comfortable writing such kind
      of texts. Is the Slug page the only one containing this kind of
      advertisements? or does anyone give the possibility of downloading
      firmware from his web page too?

      How is the development of the open source drivers going?

      Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

      Daniel.
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        Daniel Berenguer wrote:
        > After more than one year, my opn-max project (www.opnode.org), based
        > on SlugOS/BE, has got relative success. In order to avoid dealing with
        > proprietary licenses, I invited anyone wanting to install opn-max to
        > install the standard OpenSlug firmware first from
        > http://www.slug-firmware.net.

        Good plan.

        > Now that I'm redoing my web page I'm thinking about preparing a
        > licensed download page, similar to http://www.slug-firmware.net, and
        > upload an image with all the necessary for running the Slug as an
        > opn-max controller. No more need to install applications, the whole
        > process reduced to one or two steps.

        Good plan.

        > My question is: do you know if I could inspire my license agreement
        > page on the one found in http://www.slug-firmware.net? The legal
        > things often scare me and I don't feel comfortable writing such kind
        > of texts. Is the Slug page the only one containing this kind of
        > advertisements? or does anyone give the possibility of downloading
        > firmware from his web page too?

        We are not laywers, so we cannot give you legal advise on whether or not
        using that license text is suitable for your web page. All we can say
        is that that text has been there for 4 years now, and we haven't been
        sued by Intel yet :-)

        We do discourage (for your own safety) putting up an image *without*
        some way of ensuring that the people downloading the image acknowledge
        and agree to the Intel license.

        If you have some mechanism to ensure that the people downloading your
        image acknowledge and agree to the Intel license, then the nslu2-linux
        project has no problem with you doing so (note that we do not speak on
        behalf of Intel or any other copyright holder). Again, we are not
        laywers, so a decision to do so has to be your own, and we take no
        responsibility for anything that may result from you doing so.

        > How is the development of the open source drivers going?

        It has been included in 2.6.27 mainline kernel and works well. Note
        that it still requires proprietary Intel microcode to run.

        -- Rod
      • Daniel Berenguer
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          Thanks Rod.