Re: [nslu2-general] Migrate hardware

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
      Peter Lohmann wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I think I've just bought a broken Slug. Quite often when I try to turn
      > it on, only the ethernet led will light up and the Status Led won't.
      > After a few times disconnecting power and powering up again, the
      > system will boot my Debian off the attached USB-powered HDD without
      > problems and it will run continously.
      > Now... If I want to switch the box at the shops... what do I have to
      > do to get my debian (on the harddrive) back?
      > I really don't want to do a new install (3 hours +)?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated!
      >
      > Peter

      USB-powered HDD's don't work well with NSLU2's; try connecting the HDD
      to an external power supply first.

      If the NSLU2 still misbehaves with the HDD disconnected, then I'd
      suggest you try to swap the NSLU2 power supply before you swap the
      NSLU2. The supplies seem to fail at a very high rate recently.

      Mike (mwester)