Re: Migrate hardware

  • docbillnet
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
      As near as I can tell which partition is used for boot is determined
      by UUID. So if you your root file system to a different partition,
      you need to set the uuid of the new partition with tune2fs.

      Unfortunately, I have not figured out if there is a way to tell
      NSLU2's to change with UUID to boot from, other than doing a new full
      install. This can be a bit of a pain at times.

      Bill

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lohmann" <email@...> wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > I think I've just bought a broken Slug. Quite often when I try to turn
      > it on, only the ethernet led will light up and the Status Led won't.
      > After a few times disconnecting power and powering up again, the
      > system will boot my Debian off the attached USB-powered HDD without
      > problems and it will run continously.
      > Now... If I want to switch the box at the shops... what do I have to
      > do to get my debian (on the harddrive) back?
      > I really don't want to do a new install (3 hours +)?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated!
      >
      > Peter

    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008
        Peter Lohmann wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > I think I've just bought a broken Slug. Quite often when I try to turn
        > it on, only the ethernet led will light up and the Status Led won't.
        > After a few times disconnecting power and powering up again, the
        > system will boot my Debian off the attached USB-powered HDD without
        > problems and it will run continously.
        > Now... If I want to switch the box at the shops... what do I have to
        > do to get my debian (on the harddrive) back?
        > I really don't want to do a new install (3 hours +)?
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated!
        >
        > Peter

        USB-powered HDD's don't work well with NSLU2's; try connecting the HDD
        to an external power supply first.

        If the NSLU2 still misbehaves with the HDD disconnected, then I'd
        suggest you try to swap the NSLU2 power supply before you swap the
        NSLU2. The supplies seem to fail at a very high rate recently.

        Mike (mwester)