Would like to get DHCP Status help

  • vandapro
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2008
      I have an Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta USB flash drive netslug.

      kernel Version: 2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21
      perl Version: 5.8.8-20
      perl-date-manip Version: 5.48-1
      dhcp Version: 3.1.0-1
      bind Version: 9.5.0-P2-1
      coreutils Version: 6.12-2
      openssl Version: 0.9.7m-4

      It was built using the nslu2-linux.org howtos to play as a local
      caching DNS and DHCP server. All seem to be working, with just the
      notes below.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPrimaryDNSServer

      ssh throws this to the /var/logs/messages
      error: Could not get shadow information for root

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/IntegrateDHCPandDynamicDNS

      starting the dhcpd throws this:
      daemon.err dhcpd: Warning: subnet 10.10.2.0/24 overlaps subnet
      10.10.2.0/24
      (maybe ok with first subnet declaration in named.conf which doesn't
      really start a service?) I added reserved IPs for devices that needed
      fixed addresses, and that wasn't offered in the howto.
      I had to stop and start twice to get the services and the .jnl files
      to come up, but other than that, seems good.

      Then to add monitoring I thought I'd try...
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GetDHCPStatus
      perl installed with ipkg, however I didn't understand the note that
      you need to get perl from the unslung native feed at:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
      I have unslung-feeds v3.0-1 installed and just ipkg intall perl
      Installation of DateManip went this way:
      As http://search.cpan.org/~sbeck/DateManip-5.42a/ is a dead link I
      ipkg install perl-date-manip which I suppose may be wrong.
      I also chmod the cgi to world rx

      I have no idea of what I missed, but, GetDHCPStatus ruturns a blank
      page from a browser and throws these errors if the script is run in a
      shell:
      leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 19: use: not found
      leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 20: use: not found
      leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 21: use: not found
      leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 24: Syntax error: word unexpected
      (expecting ")")
      The relevant lines from the script are:
      use Getopt::Std;
      use Date::Manip;
      use CGI;

      # Look for Options
      $res=getopts('wh');

      Do you suppose other packages are missing or the wrong one were used,
      some path not set correctly or some such>

      Ideas are welcome, thank you.
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2008
        vandapro wrote:
        > I have an Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta USB flash drive netslug.
        >
        > kernel Version: 2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21
        > perl Version: 5.8.8-20
        > perl-date-manip Version: 5.48-1
        > dhcp Version: 3.1.0-1
        > bind Version: 9.5.0-P2-1
        > coreutils Version: 6.12-2
        > openssl Version: 0.9.7m-4

        Thanks for the detailed information - that's helpful.

        > It was built using the nslu2-linux.org howtos to play as a local
        > caching DNS and DHCP server. All seem to be working, with just the
        > notes below.

        Just a side comment - why not use dnsmasq? Much, much simpler.

        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPrimaryDNSServer
        >
        > ssh throws this to the /var/logs/messages
        > error: Could not get shadow information for root

        You can ignore those; it's just complaining that Unslung doesn't use the
        shadow password file.

        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/IntegrateDHCPandDynamicDNS
        >
        > starting the dhcpd throws this:
        > daemon.err dhcpd: Warning: subnet 10.10.2.0/24 overlaps subnet
        > 10.10.2.0/24
        > (maybe ok with first subnet declaration in named.conf which doesn't
        > really start a service?) I added reserved IPs for devices that needed
        > fixed addresses, and that wasn't offered in the howto.
        > I had to stop and start twice to get the services and the .jnl files
        > to come up, but other than that, seems good.
        >
        > Then to add monitoring I thought I'd try...
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/GetDHCPStatus
        > perl installed with ipkg, however I didn't understand the note that
        > you need to get perl from the unslung native feed at:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BuildPerlOnYourNSLU2Box
        > I have unslung-feeds v3.0-1 installed and just ipkg intall perl
        > Installation of DateManip went this way:
        > As http://search.cpan.org/~sbeck/DateManip-5.42a/ is a dead link I
        > ipkg install perl-date-manip which I suppose may be wrong.
        > I also chmod the cgi to world rx
        >
        > I have no idea of what I missed, but, GetDHCPStatus ruturns a blank
        > page from a browser and throws these errors if the script is run in a
        > shell:
        > leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 19: use: not found
        > leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 20: use: not found
        > leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 21: use: not found
        > leaseholders.cgi: leaseholders.cgi: 24: Syntax error: word unexpected
        > (expecting ")")
        > The relevant lines from the script are:
        > use Getopt::Std;
        > use Date::Manip;
        > use CGI;
        >
        > # Look for Options
        > $res=getopts('wh');
        >
        > Do you suppose other packages are missing or the wrong one were used,
        > some path not set correctly or some such>
        >
        > Ideas are welcome, thank you.

        It looks like your web server is trying to execute the leaseholders.cgi
        script as a shell script, and not a perl script. I can't tell you why
        it is doing that, but fixing that will get you a whole lot further in
        this process.

        Mike (mwester)