Copy system information from Hard Disk to USB Stick

  • techwizard
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hi

      I have been using a Slug for a long time - using it with Unslund to
      drive media centre software. I am a little concerned, though, that
      the HD attached to Disk 2 (the linux root) will die soon as it has
      been going for a year.
      So - what I would really like to do is to copy the relevant parts of
      the USB hard drive to a USB flash drive. I want to basically be able
      to plug the usb drive in and have the slug boot up of that.
      I am fairly proficient with using linux, but do not really understand
      the drive partitions or the way the boot up works to really be able to
      work out what I am doing.
      Can anyone offer any suggestions ?

      Thanks in advance
      \John
    • Graham
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "techwizard" <bugwizardusa@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have been using a Slug for a long time - using it with Unslund to
        > drive media centre software. I am a little concerned, though, that
        > the HD attached to Disk 2 (the linux root) will die soon as it has
        > been going for a year.
        > So - what I would really like to do is to copy the relevant parts of
        > the USB hard drive to a USB flash drive. I want to basically be able
        > to plug the usb drive in and have the slug boot up of that.
        > I am fairly proficient with using linux, but do not really understand
        > the drive partitions or the way the boot up works to really be able to
        > work out what I am doing.
        > Can anyone offer any suggestions ?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > \John

        I have just moved drive contents from a 57GByte hard disk to 80GByte
        hard disk. It should be the same for a memory stick.
        I first copied the contents of the old disk to a folder in Fedora 7
        (in VMWare on a Mac in my case). Just make a new folder, plug in and
        select all files in the old disk and then drag and drop to the folder
        in Fedora (or whatever).

        Set up the new disk with QTParted (My Debian Slug uses a swap and a
        main partition - I think you just want a single one (?)).
        Drag and drop the files to the main partition.

        It is that easy! - someone once said the new disk has to be identical
        to the old one - it is not true.

        I do always run as root (gasp!) - much less hastle in the GUI - with
        VMWare you can keep a backup so easily.
      • Hanneke & Paul Brandt
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2008
          Why not attach another disk to Disk1, and run rsnapshot every night. This
          way whenever you store something on Disk2, it will be backed-up the other
          day. Thanks to this setup I already survived a disk-crash.
          And it works for either Disk1 or Disk2 crashes: when Disk1 crashes (your
          backup) just connect another one and the following day you've got a new
          clean backup, when Disk2 crashes (carrying the system partition), you need
          to rebuild your system, but your data is still safe.

          -- Paul

          .