Help! Slug Problem!

  • Patricia Ray Carvalho
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2008
      I'm new to dealing with this. We have a showcenter, Pinnacle. The slug
      was attached and working. It stopped working... seems when I log into
      the website gui, it keeps giving me the error 'Failed to get samba
      information.'
      It seems the prob is that the showcenter reset to the old IP address
      and refuses to hold the new one, thanks to the samba info error I
      assume.
      I was told to redo the unslung firmware update etc... 6.10 however
      when I get to the point of logging back into the Gui and then
      telneting to it, I still get the same error AND I can't telnet to it
      either, says, 'connection failed to open port 23'.. I was told to use
      port 80 and it doesn't work either.
      I'm at a loss, my husband set this up and he's not in the country
      right now... can anyone help me? If I have to rebuild the slug for the
      movie servers I'm going to be in trouble, as I don't know how to do
      that... I'm more than happy to have a go... but I really don't want to
      completely mess the slug up! If anyone can help this novice, I would
      surely appreciate it!! Thanks!
      Trish
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2008
        Patricia Ray Carvalho wrote:
        > I'm new to dealing with this. We have a showcenter, Pinnacle. The slug
        > was attached and working. It stopped working... seems when I log into
        > the website gui, it keeps giving me the error 'Failed to get samba
        > information.'
        > It seems the prob is that the showcenter reset to the old IP address
        > and refuses to hold the new one, thanks to the samba info error I
        > assume.
        > I was told to redo the unslung firmware update etc... 6.10 however
        > when I get to the point of logging back into the Gui and then
        > telneting to it, I still get the same error AND I can't telnet to it
        > either, says, 'connection failed to open port 23'.. I was told to use
        > port 80 and it doesn't work either.
        > I'm at a loss, my husband set this up and he's not in the country
        > right now... can anyone help me? If I have to rebuild the slug for the
        > movie servers I'm going to be in trouble, as I don't know how to do
        > that... I'm more than happy to have a go... but I really don't want to
        > completely mess the slug up! If anyone can help this novice, I would
        > surely appreciate it!! Thanks!
        > Trish

        It's in a bad way, I'm afraid. The sysconfig information has become
        damaged for some reason, and when the Linksys firmware that handles this
        stuff (for which we lack the source code) fails in this way, the only
        recovery seems to be to reset the unit to factory settings.

        So, start by going through the admin GUI for the device, all screens,
        and write down all the settings, if any still remain. Then try
        resetting the device to factory defaults from the admin GUI. It will
        reboot on the default network address and all, and if the error message
        is gone, then check the main screen to see if it is running from
        internal flash, or if it is still "unslung" to the external drive. If
        the former, you'll have to perform the unsling step as well, which may
        involve loss of the data on the drive. If the latter, go ahead and
        change the settings back to the original ones, and hopefully all the
        data should still be present.

        If the error message remains after a reset, then I'm afraid that you'll
        have to resort to telnetting into Redboot to reset the sysconfig
        partition (that's a dangerous last resort, though, to be avoided if at
        all possible).

        Mike (mwester)