Re: [nslu2-general] resetting IP/network info on slug with no IP

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2008
      pindividual wrote:
      > So at this point, what do I need to do to reset the IP and other
      > network info in the nslu2 so I can talk to it? as far as I know I have
      > never reflashed redboot (always avoided that) but maybe redboot is
      > holding network info that I now need to change? The redboot link on
      > the nslu2-linux site is wrong but I found this:
      > http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au/software/fass/redboot-v1_92-ixdp425-mini-howto.html#host-system-setup
      >
      > Is this the right direction or should I upslug2 -C to overwrite
      > redboot to defaults? When I do a --Complete-reprogram do I need to
      > provide a redboot bin or is that in the debian-4.0r3 binary or in
      > upslug2 itself?

      No, this is most definitly *not* the right direction. The IP address
      information is not part of redboot; it's managed by the host firmware,
      and stored in the "sysconf" portion of the flash.

      > Any expert help would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the first (or
      > last) person to get into this state - just not sure how far I have to
      > go to get it back..

      This should be on the wiki, but obviously it's not coming up with the
      search terms you've provided when you looked -- so please take a moment
      to update the wiki with this information in such a way that it comes up
      with whatever search criteria you used -- just so that the next person
      has a better chance of finding the answer.

      In order to reset the network settings for an NSLU2, you must flash the
      original Linksys firmware, and then follow the Linksys instructions to
      reset the device to factory defaults using the reset button once it's
      booted up (this is Linksys instructions, not anything specific to
      redboot nor to any other firmware).

      Once you have reset the device to the Linksys factory settings, then use
      the Linksys web gui to set your desired network settings (for Debian, do
      not use the default 192.168.1.77 address), and make sure to set a
      correct IP gateway and at least one DNS server if you do not use DHCP.

      Mike (mwester)