Re: What follows the nslu2?

  • ralph.unslunger
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2008
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, jl.050877@... wrote:

      > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34:15PM -0400, Bryan Montgomery wrote:
      > > That said, it seems to be a low powered device that would be nice
      > > for things like openvpn, samba etc.
      > >
      > > I was curious whether anyone has upgraded from the nslu2 - and
      > > what to?
      >
      > It is unfortunate that Linksys has not offered a hardware
      > upgrade for the now discontinued NSLU2.
      >
      > For networking (e.g. openVPN), you can choose from any of the
      > routers supported by OpenWRT or DD-WRT.
      >
      > For network attached storage (e.g. samba), you can upgrade
      > from NSLU2 to Debian on a Thecus N2100 or, maybe, a QNAP TS-109,
      > TS-209 or TS-409. For more on these options, see the docs for the
      > Debian-ARM port.

      You might also look at the Western Digital My Book World Edition:
      - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=347
      and the Western Digital My Book World Edition II:
      - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=340

      They are hard disk enclosures with 1 or 2 3.5" HDs installed,
      supporting RAID0 or RAID1 mirroring, plus direct ethernet connection.
      Like the NSLU2 they are also GNU/Linux powered.

      I've seen reviews saying they're a little slow, but I doubt it's any
      worse than the slug.